Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 Bigger ferret harassing little ferret.
FerryTheFerret

• Total Posts : 1
  • Reward points : 0
Bigger ferret harassing little ferret. - Wednesday, November 05, 2014 8:24 PM
Hi everyone,

So we have 2 ferrets, a male named Ferry and a female named Zoe.  The female is about half the size of the male.  Sometimes they are fine with each other, the sleep in the same hammock and bed and they play all the time.  But for some reason (and it's usually right around night time), Ferry constantly tries to scruff Zoe and she hisses at him, but he will keep going after her for what seems like forever, usually until I separate them.  Today though was a little different, we didn't notice until she started dooking, which is weird because she does when she is in pain, but he was biting her neck and holding her down.  I scruffed him and separated them but I'm not sure if this is normal behavior or something that I should be worried about.  Zoe is just so much smaller than him and I am afraid he will really hurt her one day.

Is there anything I can do?

Thanks,

Brandon
ordinarygirl

• Total Posts : 39
Re:Bigger ferret harassing little ferret. - Friday, November 07, 2014 10:25 AM
are your ferrets fixed?  sounds like Ferry is trying to mate with Zoe - and it's a pretty violent thing when they do.

I'm not sure where you're located but often in the UK, AU or NZ, ferrets are unaltered - here in the States you cannot purchase a ferret who's not been fixed unless you have a breeder's license.

Scruffing him and telling him no won't do any good if he's not altered - he's just doing what his hormones are telling him to do.  You'd have a better chance at getting a fish to stop swimming.

If he is fixed - aggression is an early sign of adrenal disease.  How old is Ferry?  Does he have any fur loss or other symptoms of Adrenal Disease?

If it's not fixed - the only way to get him to stop would be to get him fixed

If he is fixed - and it's adrenal - you'll need to see a vet to talk about your options - I prefer implants
Momma to
Joseph Francis Tribiani aka Joey Came to his forever home 9/26/2011
Daxter Chandler Muriel Bing aka Daxy Came to his forever home 7/30/2014

Waiting at the Bridge:
Gabby, Rylee, Maya, Roxy Heart, Goofy and Tig
unclejoe
Re:Bigger ferret harassing little ferret. - Friday, November 07, 2014 11:18 AM
Member in blocked list
wenmister
Re:Bigger ferret harassing little ferret. - Friday, November 07, 2014 2:02 PM
Member in blocked list
Seelen

• Total Posts : 193
Re:Bigger ferret harassing little ferret. - Saturday, November 08, 2014 1:58 PM
What does she do when you separate them? I had the same issue with my first two, and Toki would scream to the high heavens when Bear was playing/attacking her... but when I'd break it up shes squirm just to attack him back and then they'd be alright

Jump to:

Current active users
There are 0 members and 1 guests.
Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread