Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 HELP! Question for Cat owners!
amandapetlover

• Total Posts : 4
  • Reward points : 0
HELP! Question for Cat owners! - Wednesday, October 15, 2014 11:18 AM
I just adopted a kitten this past summer and have recently discovered that he has been peeing underneath the ferret cage. I used to have a litter box under their cage for when they come out to play, but the kitten was going potty in the litter pan, so I removed it. Then I had a towel underneath their cage just for the ferrets to burrow around in, but found out the kitten peed on that as well. So moved their cage and deep cleaned the carpet, then put their cage back with nothing underneath. The kitten still must be peeing under there because it smells awful! He's not pooping under there and I never see him pee, but he must be doing it while I am not around. I really don't want my cat to get in the habit of doing this obviously. Have any of you had experience with this?
Amanda
Seelen

• Total Posts : 193
Re:HELP! Question for Cat owners! - Saturday, October 18, 2014 1:33 PM
You'll need to use an enzyme spray to kill the smell entirely (as I'm sure you're aware that just because you can't smell it doesn't mean they can't). Always pre-test this on a fabric sample if using on a rug, as some of them have been known to discolor.

Other important aspects:

As the kitten is a "he," is he fixed? If he is not fixed, he has the urge to mark. It is a possibility he is trying to cover the ferret smell for his own smell as he is trying to be dominant. If he is not fixed, get him fixed.

Make sure the ferret cage is clean, because he still may be trying to put his smell over theirs, especially if there is unclean boxes in the ferret cage (since I assume he can't get into it)

If you can't afford an enzyme spray (I think they're usually around 10$ - here anyway) White vinegar (distilled) also does essentially the same thing, but it makes things reek for some hours before they air out. I had to do this in a bay window that my problem cat tried to deem was her own. It did kill the smell but the entire room was quite rank until it aired out. 

EDIT:   Last thought. When you had the litter box under the cage and the cat was using it, did the ferrets also keep using it? Or did the cat's use deter the ferrets? I would think, if no one had accidents if the box was there, then perhaps putting it back is the easiest of all of the options - as long as it doesn't promote any of them to go other places. 

<message edited by Seelen on Saturday, October 18, 2014 1:36 PM>
amandapetlover

• Total Posts : 4
Re:HELP! Question for Cat owners! - Saturday, October 18, 2014 10:40 PM

Thank you for the response! Yes, the kitten is neutered.

A couple of days ago, I moved the ferret cage and deep cleaned the carpet underneath. I believe I found a way to block off the kitten from getting underneath the cage, so I am going to try that for now. So far I haven't seen him even try to get underneath of it, so that's good!

Amanda

Jump to:

Current active users
There are 0 members and 1 guests.
Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message