Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 HELP SO WORRIED
kesjames

• Total Posts : 83
  • Reward points : 0
HELP SO WORRIED - Thursday, September 25, 2014 12:53 PM
My ferret, Nymphadora, has been...just sitting there. She gets up a little bit, but she's been really lethargic. When I let her out to play she just finds somewhere to sleep (not entirely unusual, but it's too consistent for the past couple of days). Yesterday I noticed her poop was virtually non-existent when she pooped outside of the cage. A little bit of mucous, not much else, kind of red. I offered her some fresh food, but she wasn't remotely interested (that's what got me really worried - she's crazy about food). I offered her some water in a bowl, thinking it would be easier for her to drink than from a bottle, and she drank a bunch. I woke up this morning and went to check on her, and she was lying there with her eyes open a bit...I got so scared. She was the same, though. She also doesn't feel as fat as usual. Not emaciated (this has only been going on for ~36 hours). Just no more happy woozle belly. She feels so little and limp...I think she's drinking on her own though, not sure if she's eating :( She hasn't had soups consistently so I don't know if I'll be able to get her to take it...she's always been so crazy about food, I could never imagine a day when she would have no appetite whatsoever. I hope I'm just overreacting.

I did just start adding zupreem to her food about a week ago, but hadn't noticed any particularly strange poop until recently. All of their poops are kinda liquidy because they had been eating only wysong so not much filler. Her cage mate seems fine. I recently got two new ferrets who are occupying the second tier of their FN 182 (it's blocked off). I wonder if their presence is stressing her out?

Should I try to put her by herself for a few days? I would have just put her in the bathroom, but I don't want to increase her stress by taking away her friend, and I would prefer to keep her in my bedroom so I can keep an eye on her...but I wonder if some piece and quiet would be best for her right now. I could also put her in my closet (has a regular door so it's safe). 
unclejoe
Re:HELP SO WORRIED - Thursday, September 25, 2014 1:02 PM
Member in blocked list
kesjames

Re:HELP SO WORRIED - Thursday, September 25, 2014 9:34 PM
Ok, I went out and got some chicken baby food and mixed it with some soaked kibble (wysong only just in case this is somehow caused by the zupreem). I mixed it really thin and then drew it into a syringe and let that sit in a little warm water for a bit. I fed her about 2 mL. Didn't have to really force it on her, I just smeared it on her mouth and she licked it up. When I let her go she walked away and she seemed really disoriented. She drank some water (on her own). She found a quiet place behind a box in the closet and is resting there now. I'm so scared :( 

How often / how much should I be feeding her?

By the way, the other ferrets' poops smell FOUL. The worst ever. It smells like pelican poop. Sick pelican poop. It's terrible. Is something going around? Does the zupreem have fish in it or something? I got the regular kind...

Update: She just pooped. No red, just lots of mucous, no form at all really, just that awful, awful smell. Urine was normal, bright yellow. But she got up and ran all the way to the other side of the room and pooped. She walked to the door when I opened it, but not with her usual vigor. She's just not reacting to things normally. 
kesjames

Re:HELP SO WORRIED - Thursday, September 25, 2014 11:25 PM
Okay, came back from dinner. She was still in the same spot she was in when I left, but there was poop in the corner a few feet away. Still warm. Still no substance, mostly mucous, normal urine, foul stench. She seems more alert though, she got up and walked all the way to the bathroom and back. This means she had 2 poops in a couple of hours though, and I realized all those other gross poops I thought were other ferts (because there were so many) were all hers (my bf told me that only she had been out). So she's had diarrhea for a while.
wenmister
Re:HELP SO WORRIED - Friday, September 26, 2014 7:16 AM
Member in blocked list
unclejoe
Re:HELP SO WORRIED - Friday, September 26, 2014 8:05 AM
Member in blocked list
kesjames

Re:HELP SO WORRIED - Friday, September 26, 2014 8:26 PM
Yeah, Kim from Stinky Pete's actually talked me through everything on the phone last night, she thought insulinoma. So I fed her soup with a syringe every 2-3 hours last night/this morning, then got her to the vet at 11:50 (earliest opening, had to go to a new vet). I asked them to check her blood sugar and it was 22! So they kept her for a few hours to do more tests and take care of her because of the diarrhea. So I have a prescription for prednisone and I'm having to give her this treatment for the diarrhea and I'm so tired and miserable. She still has no interest whatsoever in eating anything. The vet gave me carnivore care to feed her. I feel like a robot. I don't know how I'm going to do this. Everything hurts. Help.
unclejoe
Re:HELP SO WORRIED - Saturday, September 27, 2014 8:08 AM
Member in blocked list
kesjames

Re:HELP SO WORRIED - Saturday, September 27, 2014 9:00 AM
Yes, I'm giving her metronidazole. She's taking food somewhat more readily now, the first 8mL or so of a feeding go fast...then it's a pain. One of her poops from last night was super green :( But it seems like she's going less frequently than when she was having diarrhea (she was going 2 hours tops between poops). She seems somewhat interested in her regular food (I left a small bowl in there just in case and only had enough to cover the bottom so I will know if she eats any), she sticks her nose in there. I think I even saw her lick it. But she doesn't eat it. She's more lively though, she walks around after she gets food. I did give her the TINIEST bit of supplical but that was around midnight or so.
kesjames

Re:HELP SO WORRIED - Saturday, September 27, 2014 11:09 AM
UUUUGGGGGHHHH I want a prescription for prednisolone instead of prednisone but the vet I went to isn't in today and her staff can't/won't change it...I got a 3-day supply of prednisone at CVS for $12 wtf where can I get it for a reasonable price?

I have so much work to do I'm so behind and how am I going to do this :(
kesjames

Re:HELP SO WORRIED - Saturday, September 27, 2014 5:55 PM
She actually took a piece of kibble in her mouth, then put it back in the bowl. That's something right? She also went to her cage (she's been living in the closet for the past couple of days) and snuggled up with Nito. So cute. I think she's on the upswing.
kesjames

Re:HELP SO WORRIED - Sunday, September 28, 2014 12:03 PM
She seems to be doing better. I've gotten the hang of things as well, so it's not as difficult to feed her. This morning she ate over 20mL of soup - wow. Still had to syringe feed, but she didn't resist it at all, she actually bit down on the syringe when I tried to take it away to refill it. It's much easier for me to use a smaller syringe and refill several times for some reason. She seems more like her old self. She attempted to steal the toilet brush. Poops are getting somewhat solid. I think she's on the upswing :) I feel bad for her when she has to take that metronidazole though. I follow it with soup as quickly as possible.
unclejoe
Re:HELP SO WORRIED - Sunday, September 28, 2014 3:26 PM
Member in blocked list
bandit99
Re:HELP SO WORRIED - Monday, September 29, 2014 4:09 AM
Member in blocked list

Jump to:

Current active users
There are 0 members and 1 guests.
Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages