Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 Brought a Kit Home...
Zoetic

• Total Posts : 42
  • Reward points : 0
Brought a Kit Home... - Sunday, September 07, 2014 9:01 PM
This weekend Petco was having major ferret sale, so I brought home a tiny baby boy - He is LITTLE. About 6 weeks old. As he's by far the youngest one I've dealt with, I have a couple behaviour questions - 

1) He's a nipper. Is this a phase like puppies go through, where it's almost like teething?

2) He's a little... whiny... I think that's the best word I can come up with. It's not dooking. It's sort of like a groan or a whimper. I'm taking a guess and thinking he's looking for his previous cagemates from the pet store. Is that a pretty accurate guess? It's not high pitched, it's sort of like a low groaning noise. Not one I've heard before. 

He's eating well, poop seems normal, and he's romping around with the two larger ones (he's a feisty little snot, going after Mishka who is easily twice his size) so I'm not concerned really about his health. It's really the second question about his whimpering that I'm more curious about.

Thanks!!
Seelen

• Total Posts : 193
Re:Brought a Kit Home... - Monday, September 08, 2014 12:28 PM
Nipping is definitely normal, just make sure to start reinforcing positive behavior with that early on. Our boy was a biter and was actually returned because of it. It took some months but now he's a lover. :)

Not sure about the noises. 

Grats on the new baby :D I really wanted to get another this weekend but husband wasn't ready :|
unclejoe
Re:Brought a Kit Home... - Monday, September 08, 2014 2:29 PM
Member in blocked list
wenmister
Zoetic

Re:Brought a Kit Home... - Monday, September 08, 2014 7:45 PM
He's not white - He's actually got a great dark little mask. 

I figured the mouthiness was normal, all I can think to compare it to is like a puppy. Nothing hard, but just nippy. I'm convinced his noises were more so looking for his cagemates, since it seems to have tapered off some today.

He's such a goober. I still can't get over how tiny he is!
leeandparker

• Total Posts : 70
Re:Brought a Kit Home... - Tuesday, September 09, 2014 7:58 PM
Six weeks is unhealthily young to be taken away from mom. Bleep mills for doing this kind of thing,

Now onto the probs. They (under normal circumstances) wean at four to six weeks but mills do this much earlier often causing oral problems. He could possibly have an infection or other problem. Could be his teeth coming. That groaning noise is concerning. Petco does "sales" on ferrets when they know they're sick or something is wrong with them as a means of disposal but to still make money. You should see a vet immediately. 

(Edited for language)
<message edited by unclejoe on Tuesday, September 09, 2014 8:17 PM>
Zoetic

Re:Brought a Kit Home... - Tuesday, September 09, 2014 8:12 PM
He's already been seen, and was given a clean bill of health. The vet said The nipping is a lot like teething and that he'll likely grow out of it shortly.

I still can't figure out what makes him so vocal though. 
wenmister
Re:Brought a Kit Home... - Tuesday, September 09, 2014 9:02 PM
Member in blocked list
unclejoe
Re:Brought a Kit Home... - Wednesday, September 10, 2014 10:05 AM
Member in blocked list

Jump to:

Current active users
There are 0 members and 1 guests.
Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages