Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 Suprelorin implant
kesjames

• Total Posts : 83
  • Reward points : 0
Suprelorin implant - Sunday, September 14, 2014 1:07 PM
...how long are these effective? My ferret got one in March. 
unclejoe
Re:Suprelorin implant - Sunday, September 14, 2014 9:34 PM
Member in blocked list
Snapper13

• Total Posts : 155
Re:Suprelorin implant - Monday, September 15, 2014 7:31 AM
About 1 year, but it depends on the ferret.  Our Rocky got one in February, so is due in February again, but we may give him one in January (or December) if he looks like he might need it sooner (difficulty urinating, etc).  I think the big boys are the ones that might need it sooner rather than later.

Interestingly enough, Rocky was on Lupron until the Des implants came out.  Rocky was on a double dose of Lupron due to his size.  Now, using the Des, I think he might need his sooner than most as well.  
kesjames

Re:Suprelorin implant - Monday, September 15, 2014 10:20 AM
Ah. Nito's hair was totally grown back within a month or so of getting the implant. I had forgotten that she had a little white spot on her chest :) Question - how does treatment change as she gets older and the disease becomes more advanced? Do I just keep getting the implants and treat symptoms as they come? I know surgery is an option...my vet was pretty opposed to it in March because the condition wasn't very bad. I haven't noticed any progression (or really any symptoms) since about a month after the implant. Before that she had a good amount of hair loss, excessive thirst, and very dry skin and fur...

As an aside, she seems to have to urinate frequently (but isn't drinking really excessively like before). I would say at least when she comes out to play she goes once every hour or so. Is this related to adrenal or just a thing?
unclejoe
Re:Suprelorin implant - Monday, September 15, 2014 10:30 AM
Member in blocked list
kesjames

Re:Suprelorin implant - Monday, September 15, 2014 11:11 AM
That's good to know. So does the vet do some kind of titer to determine when the implant needs to be replaced, or is it the return of symptoms?

Jump to:

Current active users
There are 0 members and 1 guests.
Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread