Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 Biting
penguinpixie13

• Total Posts : 30
  • Reward points : 0
Biting - Sunday, August 10, 2014 8:18 PM
Ive had Ophelia my female( unknown age) since April or so and she always bit but now it seems to get worse no matter what i do. I'm not entirely sure if its because she wants down or shes trying to show dominance. Her play bites aren't usually painful. I could pick her up and have her for a couple minutes then she starts biting anywhere she can get her mouth on. fingers wrist arms. Heres how shes getting worse. she used to stop after a few attempts and id hold her and wait till she stopped those attempts before i scruffed her and said no in case it was the being held but now she stops for a few and i correct her and then she does it again and if she doesn't get a reaction she will move her head biting until she gets one and now no matter where shes biting she will try to shake her head. i even tried the scruff and drag when she starts biting my wrist and she just goes back after it. and i don't want to put her in jail (time out) in case it is the being held thing. and when i do put her down she gives me this look like whyd u do that? or how dare u? im not the only one who sees her give me that look so its not just me lol. any suggestions or am i doing something wrong? 0h shes the lovely one in the hammie in my pic thingy
Snapper13

• Total Posts : 155
Re:Biting - Tuesday, August 12, 2014 7:15 AM
I would say that she doesn't like being held for long periods of time.

When you put her down, have you tried holding a stuffed toy and playing with that so that she doesn't bite you?
penguinpixie13

Re:Biting - Thursday, August 14, 2014 2:13 PM
shes not interested in toys. she will ignore it and try to get me. sometimes i can be sitting in the pin with them and my hand on the mat and she'll come lay down near me and a few min later sometimes she'll bite. sometimes she will bite even when i just touch her. she doesnt seem to like my dad and bites him as soon as he picks her up. it can be like that with me too. ill pick her up and she just starts trying to bite me. i dunno what to do with this. lol. i mean i dunno if im trying to get her out of it wrong or if theres anything i can do to make things better with her. she bites pretty hard but doesnt usually draw blood. when i put her down she doesnt bite but gives me this look like "hey whatd u do that for?" or like "how dare u!" so im confused. lol.
<message edited by penguinpixie13 on Thursday, August 14, 2014 2:15 PM>
Snapper13

• Total Posts : 155
Re:Biting - Friday, August 15, 2014 7:05 AM
Seems to me that that is her way of playing with you.  You have to teach her not to bite - that biting isn't playing for humans.

I used bitter apple spray - it was nasty, but did the trick.  I also used the scruff and drag method, but sometimes they felt that was playing.  So I relied more heavily on bitter apples sprays.
penguinpixie13

Re:Biting - Friday, August 15, 2014 6:50 PM
ill try that. i figured it was maybe she didnt wanna be held so i didnt correct her till she gave up biting and refused to put her down till she stopped but she'd keep biting till i reacted moving from place to place. its like shes thinking well the arm doesnt get a reaction so ill bite her knuckle and thats where it hurts the most. if i squeak she'll let up and i havent corrected her for gentle nips. only when she bites me.

Jump to:

Current active users
There are 0 members and 1 guests.
Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread