Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 Ethics and Lymphoma
joepepe

• Total Posts : 5
  • Reward points : 0
Ethics and Lymphoma - Wednesday, August 13, 2014 11:03 AM
My beloved Wendy was diagnosed with Lymphoma back in Feb.She has lost a little weight but remains in great spirits . I got Wendy as a young adult 9 years ago this Oct. so I don't know her exact age but she is quite old. This week my vet stated that chemo was available for her.The vet neither recommended it or rejected it,she just said it was available.My instinct was to say no but now I'm not so sure. I'm afraid the Chemo will take away the good days Wendy has left. I love wendy with all my heart and feel like putting her through Chemo would be a selfish act as I am not ready to let go. On the other hand,Wendy still enjoys her life and I owe her the best I can provide. I know there is no absolute right thing to do but I,d appreciate others thoughts.Thanks for reading
KrazeyLady

• Total Posts : 12
  • Reward points : 1
Re:Ethics and Lymphoma - Wednesday, August 13, 2014 11:13 AM
Wendy must be at least 10 or 11 yrs old. If she appears to be happy and comfortable then my gut instinct is to say NO to the Chemo. It might prolong her life a little but would it be the best for her? Enjoy your time together and be prepared to say a loving Fare Well. My thoughts and prayers are with you and Wendy.
unclejoe
Re:Ethics and Lymphoma - Wednesday, August 13, 2014 11:58 AM
Member in blocked list
joepepe

Re:Ethics and Lymphoma - Wednesday, August 13, 2014 12:15 PM
She is on prednisone and she is suppose to start taking an antibiotic today.I can't recall the name of the antibiotic but it is suppose to help her absorb nutrients ,it does come with the risk of some ugly side-effects,muscle tremors and/or seizure.As soon as I get it I'll post the exact name of it.I'm honestly kind of afraid to give it to her but the vet says it is a very low dose and Wendy can't afford to lose more weight
lnsybean44

• Total Posts : 9
Re:Ethics and Lymphoma - Wednesday, August 13, 2014 12:24 PM
Chemo is a very personal decision for you and your ferret. The sooner it is started the better the odds that it will help however if she was diagnosed in Feburary you will likely need to do multiple tests to stage her lymphoma and decide how progressive it is. 

Pred can be used when you opt out of chemo to help keep her comfortable. However, if pred has already been used or is being used it can decrease the benefits of the chemo (pred conditions cells to kick chemo out of the tumor cells and therefore the chemo is less effective). 

In addition, one of the more effective chemo agents in the ferret lymphoma protocol, L-spar, is becoming increasingly difficult to obtain. There are other protocols and modified protocols that can be used. 

As I mentioned above, if you go down the road of chemo you will likely need to start with tests to stage her lymphoma to determine how far it has spread and if she is a candidate for chemo or not. It is also important to keep all of your appointments for drug administration and rechecks and bloodwork. This helps to ensure that the infection fighting cells (white blood cells) are not dropping too low and that she is responding to the treatment. These appointments can get very expensive throughout the course of treatment so you need to be prepared for that.  As UncleJoe mentioned, chemo is given in cycles to allow the body time to rebound in-between. 

Overall chemo for animals tends to not have quite the severe side effects that it has in humans but it will still have side effects. It is difficult to say if it will work for any particular animal. If it does work, it is difficult to say how long it might keep the cancer at bay. 

Good luck with your decision. 
<message edited by lnsybean44 on Wednesday, August 13, 2014 12:26 PM>
unclejoe
Re:Ethics and Lymphoma - Wednesday, August 13, 2014 12:24 PM
Member in blocked list
joepepe

Re:Ethics and Lymphoma - Wednesday, August 13, 2014 12:59 PM
The name of the antibiotic is metronidazole. I tried three pharmacies before I could find one that had it. Any info on this product would be appreciated
lnsybean44

Re:Ethics and Lymphoma - Wednesday, August 13, 2014 2:16 PM
Metronidazole is a an antibiotic with anti-protazoal and anti-inflammatory properties. It is used with inflammatory bowel disease, immune related disease as well as infections (usually combines with something else). The anti-inflammatory properties also help with diarrhea.

Ferrets tend to hate the taste of metronidzole and you may need to chase it with a little bit of ferretone. It is a very commonly used antibiotics in dogs 

If you decide you don't want to use it or your ferret really hates it, you should let your vet know so that you can decide on another therapy.

Other options for weight gain that you might want to ask about include high calorie foods like "carnivore care" by OxBow and MaxCal veterinary diet (prescription?) made by Iams.  They are kind of like high calorie soups and were given to one of my ferrets when he was losing weight from stomach ulcers. 
<message edited by lnsybean44 on Wednesday, August 13, 2014 9:21 PM>
wenmister
Re:Ethics and Lymphoma - Wednesday, August 13, 2014 4:00 PM
Member in blocked list
unclejoe
Re:Ethics and Lymphoma - Wednesday, August 13, 2014 7:48 PM
Member in blocked list
lnsybean44

Re:Ethics and Lymphoma - Wednesday, August 13, 2014 9:20 PM
I am not 100% certain. It might help by decreasing some of the inflammation in the intestines, if I had to guess. The mechanism of action of metronidazole for some of its effects are not well understood. 
<message edited by lnsybean44 on Wednesday, August 13, 2014 9:28 PM>
joepepe

Re:Ethics and Lymphoma - Thursday, August 14, 2014 10:45 AM
Thanks everyone for the advice,info and support.After a lot of tears I think I've made a decesion I can live with.I'll change her predisone to predisolone and not give her the antibiotic, Wendy is alone about 8 and 1/2 hours a day and I'm just too afraid of her having a seizure when she's alone.I'll know when it's time for her to leave this world and I'll pray I've got the strength to help her.God Bless
lnsybean44

Re:Ethics and Lymphoma - Thursday, August 14, 2014 12:20 PM
I would strongly suggest discussing this with your vet too, especially the decision to not continue with the antibiotic. I am sure they would be more than willing to discuss everything and help come up with a plan that works for you and your girl.

Jump to:

Current active users
There are 0 members and 1 guests.
Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread