Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 Vomiting after eating too fast
RebeccaJeanBean

• Total Posts : 19
  • Reward points : 0
Vomiting after eating too fast - Thursday, June 26, 2014 9:58 PM
Hello!

My senior ferret, Buttons vomits occasionally after eating. This vomit is white and not containing her actual food. I think this happens when she eats her (kibble) food too fast. I don't know of anything I can really do except comfort her until she finally vomits. Any suggestions on how I can prevent this behavior from happening? On occasion, her noises wake me up and we're both in distress.

unclejoe
Re:Vomiting after eating too fast - Thursday, June 26, 2014 10:20 PM
Member in blocked list
RebeccaJeanBean

• Total Posts : 19
Re:Vomiting after eating too fast - Tuesday, July 08, 2014 7:18 PM
She is pooping normally.

She has also been on the same kibble for her whole life so I already feel quite the task coming, haha. Do you think I could even soften her food in water to see if that helps? If not, I'll have to move to softer food or something softer to mix her kibble with. The kibble are also sizable O's. Would it be much to break them up?

Thanks!
wacferret

• Total Posts : 92
Re:Vomiting after eating too fast - Tuesday, July 08, 2014 7:37 PM
Water will soften the kibble but you will need to soak it awhile, and if not eaten right away it may get kinda yucky Try using a mortar and pestle and grind the kibble to smaller bits. Or put into a zip lock bag and beat the heck out of it with a hammer (then pour into a new bag as that one will be riddled with holes) For soup I use chicken broth. I use any chicken trimmings and some chunks and boil it in water then I blend up the chunks so they are mush, take the broth and puree and put it into an ice cube tray to freeze. Now I have single serving chicken broth/puree that I can mix with kibble as needed. The fact that it is white bile and not actual food is perplexing though, if it were due to eating too fast there should be food particles in the vomit as it should happen soon after eating and there should still be food in her stomach to come up with the vomit. Clear/white bile, I would ask a vet about that just to be safe.
leeandparker

• Total Posts : 70
Re:Vomiting after eating too fast - Tuesday, July 22, 2014 6:02 PM
You should really get to a vet. Being a senior ferret throwing up can be signs of any number of things from insulinoma to IBD. A physical examination with blood and glucose tests would be the best thing to do right now. 

Jump to:

Current active users
There are 0 members and 1 guests.
Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread