Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 Help! Got a Junk Food Junkie!
LittleFeets

• Total Posts : 1
  • Reward points : 0
Help! Got a Junk Food Junkie! - Tuesday, June 17, 2014 3:16 PM
Hello. I'm new to the forum and ferret care taking. I am living with my boyfriend's little fuzzy beast now and he's adorable. I've been bitten by the ferret bug and as his cage mate died we'll probably be getting another.

That said, the fuzzy one, Koda, has been on Marshalls all his life and Yogis for treats. From my reading and education I've been learning he should be getting more healthy treats and foods, but all of the attempts have not gone well. He is rather addicted to his current palette and won't try any of those offered: raw beef, cooked beef, freeze dried chicken bits (which the cats love, so no loss there I guess) even these soaked in ferretone to try and entice him. I'm starting to try the soup method. Anything else I should attempt? He gets nasty poo when he has more than a yogi or two and I'd like to reward him with something more healthy... but right now it's not much of reward. He'd rather attempt to steal jelly beans off my desk or candy from my bags (and has never succeeded of course).
whiskandbowl

• Total Posts : 179
Re:Help! Got a Junk Food Junkie! - Tuesday, June 17, 2014 6:35 PM
Hi and welcome to the forum.

The first thing I would do is toss the Yogies in the trash. They're basically sugar drops and aren't worth the health issues associated with them. 

If you ferret already likes Ferretone, that's a good start! I use Ferretone as a main treat, my ferrets come running when I shake the bottle. 
It's not uncommon for them to refuse a new treat at first, in fact it's completely normal. The trick is to be more stubborn than they are. They might have to taste something 10 or even 20 times before they willingly eat it on their own. 

What I like to do is sit on the floor while they are out playing. Every 5 minutes or so, pick them up and put a taste of whatever on their mouth so they have to lick it off. Repeat a few times. Continue each day as necessary.

My ferrets took to Natures Variety Instinct Raw boost bites right away, they might be something to try.

Ferrets: Wesley, Percy, Owen    -rip Bandit-
Bettas- Kitty, Pip, and Logan
Sun Conure- Kita
Gerbils- Piper and Tailer
leeandparker

• Total Posts : 70
Re:Help! Got a Junk Food Junkie! - Friday, July 18, 2014 1:47 PM
You should really replace the ferratone with salmon oil. Salmon oil is so much healthier. Ferratone is garbage
leeandparker

• Total Posts : 70
Re:Help! Got a Junk Food Junkie! - Friday, July 18, 2014 1:49 PM
First off you should really switch to a raw diet. It is so much healthier and better for them. Now if you can not for some reason ferrets are very picky. The best advice for switching foods is soupies and time. It can take forever. 
unclejoe
Re:Help! Got a Junk Food Junkie! - Friday, July 18, 2014 2:27 PM
Member in blocked list

Jump to:

Current active users
There are 0 members and 1 guests.
Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages