Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 Sick ferret please help
shelly78

• Total Posts : 4
  • Reward points : 0
Sick ferret please help - Saturday, July 19, 2014 12:23 PM
Two days ago my ferret was fine he seemed to have energy and was playing and everything and today he is very lethargic and seems to have gotten skinnier. He won't eat the only thing he will eat is his furo-vite. The vet in our area doesn't take ferrets as patients and there isn't any close by that do. Does anyone know what might be wrong with him or what i could try?
unclejoe
Re:Sick ferret please help - Saturday, July 19, 2014 1:05 PM
Member in blocked list
shelly78

Re:Sick ferret please help - Saturday, July 19, 2014 1:13 PM
I will try what you suggested and see if that helps but that's where my problem is there isn't a vet around that treats ferrets the nearest one is over 4 hours away.
unclejoe
Re:Sick ferret please help - Saturday, July 19, 2014 1:34 PM
Member in blocked list
whiskandbowl

• Total Posts : 179
Re:Sick ferret please help - Saturday, July 19, 2014 6:19 PM
How old is your ferret? Is he displaying any other symptoms besides lethargy and lack of appetite? 

Has he eaten anything besides Furovite? Although it may be the only thing he wants to eat, I would caution you against giving him any. It's basically pure sugar, one might as well feed him candy.
Most ferrets take well to warmed chicken baby food or egg yolk.

Can you post a location for us (even just general area). Your baby desparately needs to go to the vet and we can try to help you find one.

Ferrets: Wesley, Percy, Owen    -rip Bandit-
Bettas- Kitty, Pip, and Logan
Sun Conure- Kita
Gerbils- Piper and Tailer
shelly78

Re:Sick ferret please help - Saturday, July 19, 2014 8:55 PM
I am not sure how old he is because we bought him from someone and they didn't even know for sure, He did throw up once in the last few hours.I thought he looked a bit skinny for a while now but he seemed energetic and was eating going to the bathroom and everything fine so i figured that was normal for a ferret cause i was told that some are very skinny.I got him some chicken baby food and warmed it up but he doesn't seem interested in eating it but i read online to try and put a little on your finger and rub a little on the top of their mouth cause they will at least get a little so we did that and he did get some that way. I live in Canada but its a small island and the nearest city which is where they take ferrets is approx 4 hours away but i am going to do what unclejoe suggested and plead with my vet here to at least take a look at him.
bandit99
Re:Sick ferret please help - Sunday, July 20, 2014 3:59 AM
Member in blocked list
shelly78

Re:Sick ferret please help - Sunday, July 20, 2014 4:26 PM
I noticed a day before he got like this he had the diarrhea a couple times but all of his poops weren't like that, so i am wondering if that would make him weak even just having it couple times. Yesterday i notice he had it too, so yesterday and today i have been giving him the chicken baby food and pedialyte and he seems to have perked up a lot today and he seems to really be more eager to eat and drink then yesterday.Yesterday he would just lay in my arms and stay there and today when we give him his food and pedialyte after he is done he is squirming to get down and he has the little hop in his step. I don't want to let him run around to much cause he needs his rest. I am going to call the vet even if they can just get his blood sugar check and to find out what may have caused his diarrhea.

Jump to:

Current active users
There are 0 members and 1 guests.
Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread