Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 Biting kits- looking for suggestions
Napalm

• Total Posts : 2
  • Reward points : 0
Biting kits- looking for suggestions - Tuesday, June 10, 2014 8:52 PM
So, I'm a new ferret owner, I got my 2 ferrets 2 weeks ago after a long research I've made about ferrets. My ferrets are 2 1/2 months old and they just won't stop biting me! I believe it's a playing bites but I still trying to show them that it's wrong, I do scruff them everytime they bite and hiss on then and saying no, but it seems like as soon as I put them back to the floor they charging back at me and jumping around and biting again. Those bites aren't so painful since I'm managing to scruff them fast enough but it seem like they not learning out of it.. I heard that I should be able to see the results of the Scruffing method within 2-3 weeks but as it is now I'm pretty concerned..
 I tried today the pin down holding and it seem to effect a little bit better but yet I need to scruff them to get the holding of them, and everytime I'm trying to scruff them they getting jumpy and trying to avoid it and to bite... 

Also, they just LOVE my foots and I would be grateful to  hear about some tips I can use in order to make them stop chewing my shoes and toes. 

Thanx in advance!
Navygirl

• Total Posts : 4
Re:Biting kits- looking for suggestions - Friday, June 13, 2014 11:50 AM
Napalm

So, I'm a new ferret owner, I got my 2 ferrets 2 weeks ago after a long research I've made about ferrets. My ferrets are 2 1/2 months old and they just won't stop biting me! I believe it's a playing bites but I still trying to show them that it's wrong, I do scruff them everytime they bite and hiss on then and saying no, but it seems like as soon as I put them back to the floor they charging back at me and jumping around and biting again. Those bites aren't so painful since I'm managing to scruff them fast enough but it seem like they not learning out of it.. I heard that I should be able to see the results of the Scruffing method within 2-3 weeks but as it is now I'm pretty concerned..
I tried today the pin down holding and it seem to effect a little bit better but yet I need to scruff them to get the holding of them, and everytime I'm trying to scruff them they getting jumpy and trying to avoid it and to bite... 

Also, they just LOVE my foots and I would be grateful to  hear about some tips I can use in order to make them stop chewing my shoes and toes. 

Thanx in advance!

Honestly all kits bite even ones handled from birth it's a ferret thing, they're only babies all babies are nippy with tons of handling they grow out of it! I don't like the scruffing method it doesn't teach them anything! The bites are not vicious and not that painful I prefer ferret bites to hamster bites just put up with it and handle handle handle! Stop the awful scruffing method and just handle them alot, I once had a ferret who had been in the wild she killed chickens and would bite and try to get to your throat every time. I put up with her bites and spent alot f time petting her and handling her and she became the most loving ferret who gave kisses just give it time and spend alot of time handling them 
wenmister
Re:Biting kits- looking for suggestions - Friday, June 13, 2014 1:26 PM
Member in blocked list
crisp20

• Total Posts : 216
Re:Biting kits- looking for suggestions - Saturday, June 14, 2014 12:00 AM
8. Time out cage - I like to use a carrier, not their regular cage. AHA! other people do this! Chicha gets so mad, but it has definitely helped, especially when she is being a major jerk to the other ferrets. I do little 10 minute timeouts ( with a timer on my phone so I don't forget ;))
Seelen

• Total Posts : 193
Re:Biting kits- looking for suggestions - Saturday, June 14, 2014 2:45 AM
We used the scruffing and the time out's and it's worked mostly well.

Our boy bear was returned to the pet store for biting the first owner so much they didn't want to bother with him. Toki never really bit hands but she likes toes. Scruffing helped a lot it just took a few months of doing it. Now we are down to toe biting and we are using the time outs and it is improving. Bear is probably one of the most affectionate and cuddly ferrets now, I doubt that anyone who meets him would believe he was returned for biting lol. 

Good luck!
Tiny

• Total Posts : 11
Re:Biting kits- looking for suggestions - Sunday, June 22, 2014 4:45 PM
I use scruffing and time-out, and also redirection. For my oldest girl Cocoa, now 6, it worked wonders...she is now the gentlest ferret that ever lived. I think they eventually grow out of it as long as you're consistent... Although my boy Waffle was only just beginning to slow down on his biting at 2 years old before he passed away. That said, I was also easier on him than Cocoa... Jerry is three, but I didn't raise him, he was raised with a cat, and his bites hurt! I've been working for a year to reduce the biting and nowadays he does so quite a bit less. Just be consistent while they're still babies.

Jump to:

Current active users
There are 0 members and 1 guests.
Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread