Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 Ferret grooming schedule?
BindiAlison

• Total Posts : 13
  • Reward points : 0
Ferret grooming schedule? - Thursday, July 10, 2014 2:34 PM
Okay, i got my ferrets a couple of days ago and id like to set up a schedule. . I bathed them and clipped their nails when i got them. As far as i know- a bath once a month and nails every couple weeks? everytime im online i feel like i find something new to do for them. i just bought some ferret ear cleaner, how often should i clean their ears? also ive seen things about brushing their teeth- what should i use for that and how often? anything else im missing? Thanks 
TomHeretic

• Total Posts : 46
Re:Ferret grooming schedule? - Thursday, July 10, 2014 3:11 PM
I'd say bathing once a month is too much. We usually just give ours a wipedown if they get into something icky. My DEW Kitter scratched me and I got a little blood on her fur so we had to clean that but a little water did the trick. Mine like playing in the water so it isn't a question of difficulty or anything. To be honest I can't remember the last time I bathed any of my crew with shampoo, and don't get me wrong, they are not stinky because of this. I love the way they smell! The oils that they produce are pretty remarkable and healthy for their skin. It really seems to me like their fur is resistant to stains... I witnessed Kitter, a dark eyed white, burrow her way through a muddy garden and come out spotless.
TomHeretic

Re:Ferret grooming schedule? - Thursday, July 10, 2014 3:17 PM
Nails every 2 weeks seems like a good plan. Ears I just do as needed, only one of my four gets really waxy ears. Teeth i don't brush them so I can't help there. My plan for teeth care is switching from kibble to raw soup and eventually on to raw meaty bones. My dog is already on RMB and her teeth and breath are amazing because of it.
CMalak04

• Total Posts : 26
Re:Ferret grooming schedule? - Thursday, July 10, 2014 3:23 PM
I've heard that you should really only bathe them about 4 times a year... I've already bathed mine a couple of times since I've had them.  Personally I just thought they really needed it.  It really dries their skin out, I believe, if you bathe them too much.  I have recently ordered the 8 in 1 Ferretsheet Deodorizing Spray from ferret.com, it should actually be at the doorsteps today or tomorrow.  This should help keep them smelling "fresh and clean" between bathing sessions.  *ahem* so fresh and so clean clean. 

.-Connie-.   <(^o.o^)>
Mommy to Farrah & Boomer
CMalak04

Re:Ferret grooming schedule? - Thursday, July 10, 2014 3:27 PM
Oh Also... I haven't brushed their teeth, but Boomer LOVES the N-Bone Ferret chews for teeth and gums.  Farrah...  just wants nothing to do with it.

I clip nails every couple of weeks.  Basically I keep an eye on their nails to see if they are just getting too long.
.-Connie-.   <(^o.o^)>
Mommy to Farrah & Boomer
TomHeretic

Re:Ferret grooming schedule? - Thursday, July 10, 2014 3:29 PM
I would never want to wash away their "grape tails" if I can avoid it!
CMalak04

Re:Ferret grooming schedule? - Thursday, July 10, 2014 3:34 PM
I just love the smell of ferrets.... 
.-Connie-.   <(^o.o^)>
Mommy to Farrah & Boomer
maddogdodge

• Total Posts : 22
Re:Ferret grooming schedule? - Friday, July 11, 2014 2:28 AM
I just bath my ferrets as needed or if I'm about to go away or something. Not too often though.
Nails every two weeks, I find that I usually have to only do the nails on their font paws. The ones at the back grow a lot slower and need clipping far less regularly.

I've never actually cleaned my ferrets ears... I check them regularly but they always look clean. Maybe i'll get some dog ear cleaning wipes and try cleaning them though.

I've never brushed their teeth (I know people that do though and it works well) I doubt mine would appreciate having their teeth clean. I'm currently in the process of trying to get my guys to eat chicken wings to help clean their teeth, because I will admit that their teeth aren't as clean as they should be, and the last thing i want is to have to get a vet to clean them.

Jump to:

Current active users
There are 0 members and 1 guests.
Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread