Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 concerns
crisp20

• Total Posts : 216
  • Reward points : 0
concerns - Tuesday, June 17, 2014 10:06 AM
so Cuete stopped eating around the beginning of June, we went to the vet and got meds on the 5th and he's been on them since until the 19th. SInce he started eating again, he has had a reduced appetite, before i sould serve him soupies 40 mll at a time, I would leave it there and he would finish by himself. Now, I have had to reduce his soups to 20 ml, and sometimes he wont even start drinking it, just walk away, other times he leaves them halfway, but never finished 20ml at a time, I am having to syringe feed, which seem s uncomfortable for him, and seems to be getting more and more uncomfortable. Also when he drinks he sounds like he is making straining noises, like something in his mouth is still hurting him, i checked and I can't see anything. this is extremely frustrating, I called the vet, and she said because he is on so many meds (3), he will probably have a reduced appetite, makes sense. She said to call back if his appetite doesn't come back after the 19th (his last dose of medication). here's hoping.
crisp20

Re:concerns - Wednesday, June 18, 2014 12:04 AM
after I feed him or give him medication, he paws at his mouth a lot, he also drags his face on the ground as if he is trying to clean himself, he still seems extremely lethargic, his blood glucose came back normal though, they said it was not insulinoma. Also he is licking his right leg a lot, today when I grabbed him in the morning, his leg was wet, I dryed it with a paper towel to see if it was pee, but it was clear, there is a little sore on his knee I noticed. He's been actin very weird, I don't know if i should wait until after his last medication (20th) to see if he gets better (Isn't the medication supposed to make him better??), or if I should schedule a vet before that. I don't know what to do. I am syringe feeding him 120 ml of soup a day, and he is not gaining much weight, I want to feed him more, but it just seems uncomfortable for him, I don't want to make him feel worse. I'm so frustrated, I don't know if it is going to get better after he is off medication, please help anybody.
wenmister
Re:concerns - Wednesday, June 18, 2014 6:33 AM
Member in blocked list
unclejoe
Re:concerns - Wednesday, June 18, 2014 11:39 AM
Member in blocked list
crisp20

Re:concerns - Wednesday, June 18, 2014 1:43 PM
hey everybody, I could not wait, he seemed worse this morning, we are in calgary at the vet now, he is getting his blood checked as I type this out. I will get a full rundown of the meds he is on once I get back. Wish us luck!!
crisp20

Re:concerns - Wednesday, June 18, 2014 3:59 PM
So I am back home now, and my little Cuete is staying the night at the vet, they're putting him on IV's, getting him re hydrated, he was in bad shape the vet said. Blood glucose came back high, but the vet said not high enough for insulinoma, although he was having trouble with his hind legs this morning. I'm scared and worried, but feel a little better because I know he is in the best hands right now. Dr. Shelby Kimura who is probably most renowned ferret expert in Calgary (probably among the best in Western Canada) works there and will be in later today to look at him. They will also be filling me in twice a day on his condition, it's out of my hands now, all I can do is hope for the best for my little Cuete. o yeah theses are the meds he is taking - Ranitidine suspension .06ml every 12 hrs june 5 - 15th. Amoxacillin suspension .26ml every 12 hrs june 5 - 15. And clarithromycin .44ml every 12 hrs june 5 - 19th. He is only on clarithromycin now.
crisp20

Re:concerns - Wednesday, June 18, 2014 7:03 PM
Hey, so I just got off the phone with the vet, things really aren't looking good. He is extremely anemic, his red blood cell count is at 18% where they should be at 40%, kidney values are extremely elevated. Phosphorous levels are 5.2, they should be 2.8, creatinine should be 80, and are 2030 in Cuete. he is not producing red blood cells, an option would be a blood transfusion, which might buy him some time but not guaranteed, plus its a pretty big thing to put his body through, I just don't want him to suffer any more. Euthanasia is an option, either that or possible multiple blood transfusions upwards off $1000 CAD each, and the stress of that, and a good quality of life is not guaranteed. I asked the vet what she would do if it were her pet, she said that is an extremely personal decision, but she would put him down, to stop the suffering, I think I agree with her. This sucks so much, I have never had to do this, I just don't want him to suffer any more. If anybody has any input on this subject it would be great, I just want to be at peace with my decision.
Snapper13

• Total Posts : 155
Re:concerns - Thursday, June 19, 2014 7:34 AM
I believe you are making the right decision.  It is always hard, but it is probably time for Cuete to get his wings.
unclejoe
Re:concerns - Thursday, June 19, 2014 12:19 PM
Member in blocked list
crisp20

Re:concerns - Thursday, June 19, 2014 2:25 PM
hello everybody, well the amazing saga of Cuete has finally come to an end, he was put to rest in our arms today June 19th of 2014 at about 930 am gmt. I am so happy he was in the best possible care for his last moments, and he did not appear to be suffering when we saw him, Dr. said he was on cloud 9 because of the pain killers. I brought Tex, Chicha and his best friend Flaca to say goodbye (along with my roomate), they all sniffed and licked him especially Flaca. This is hard, but I know time will heal. I am glad the ordeal is over, and little Cuets if Dooking over the rainbow bridge with Chela, and all our other little angels. my roomate is taking it hard, she was really attached to him. Be sure too look for a memorial post in the rainbow bridge forum real soon!! Alright, let the healing begin. Thank you everybody once again for your concerns and support. I thought of the forum as we held him in his last moment.
<message edited by crisp20 on Thursday, June 19, 2014 2:27 PM>
unclejoe
Re:concerns - Thursday, June 19, 2014 10:37 PM
Member in blocked list

Jump to:

Current active users
There are 0 members and 1 guests.
Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages