Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 Goodbye, carpet!
sylvisavage

• Total Posts : 18
  • Reward points : 0
Goodbye, carpet! - Sunday, April 27, 2014 3:59 PM
Hi there! 
So I lived in a 2 bedroom apartment. 
My boyfriend and I share one room, my girls share the other room. 
BOTH rooms are carpeted and my room is not completely ferret proofed (broken vents that the landlord still won't fix, urg) so the girls have play time in their room and outside. Inside of their room, there is a closet. THEY TORE UP THE CARPET AROUND THE DOOR TO THE CLOSET! Every time they come out for play time they run over to the closet door and start digging away at the carpet! (Mostly Izzy, Iggy just follows her lead sometimes) I tried to keep the closet door open for them but once the closet is open it's like a dump zone (literally). So either the door is open and they poop EVERYWHERE (which is weird, they are VERY good with the litterbox, it's only in the closet that they go beserk), or I leave the door closed and they tear up the carpet. How do I stop this? I don't understand. My girls are very good listeners but this ONE thing they refuse to listen to me. Urg!
wenmister
Re:Goodbye, carpet! - Sunday, April 27, 2014 5:33 PM
Member in blocked list
sylvisavage

Re:Goodbye, carpet! - Monday, April 28, 2014 1:50 AM
But it's EVERYWHERE. They are not going in just one spot, or even just corners.. They are going EVERYWHERE! I don't have a big enough litterbox to fill up the whole closet :P
Jfranks85

• Total Posts : 117
Re:Goodbye, carpet! - Monday, April 28, 2014 3:54 AM
rule of ferrets..... LOTS of litter boxes if they refuse to go one place. So yep, sounds like you need several. Or instead of a whole lot of the little ones get the bigger high back ones most larger cats need. Have you tried spraying the carpet with vinegar or training spray (bitter apple)??
ferret_mum

• Total Posts : 2
Re:Goodbye, carpet! - Monday, April 28, 2014 8:20 AM
We put newspaper down where they poop the most when out of their cage. It took a bit of training but now they generally go in litter box or on newspaper.
unclejoe
Re:Goodbye, carpet! - Monday, April 28, 2014 8:33 AM
Member in blocked list
crisp20

• Total Posts : 216
Re:Goodbye, carpet! - Monday, April 28, 2014 1:42 PM
If you have a weight set, the weight plates are the ticket. they cant move em! It's really funny to watch them try. If you have old ikea shelves, those work great too, because they're the length of the door (just the individual shelf planks), also cardboard works great aspecialy when you tape all the borders down, but it can cwarp if they pee on it. PS does anybody know how to fix the carpet or at least maybe make it look better? It seems pretty impossible to reverse it. There should be a RIP carpets page on here, where we can share tales of ferret on carpet aggression.
<message edited by crisp20 on Monday, April 28, 2014 1:54 PM>
unclejoe
Re:Goodbye, carpet! - Monday, April 28, 2014 5:41 PM
Member in blocked list
sylvisavage

Re:Goodbye, carpet! - Tuesday, April 29, 2014 1:57 AM
I got my girls after I had already moved in here, I was so busy researching diets, activities, health concerns, etc that I didnt give my carpeting a single thought.. most of my place is carpeted! haha
unclejoe
Re:Goodbye, carpet! - Tuesday, April 29, 2014 8:07 AM
Member in blocked list
crisp20

• Total Posts : 216
Re:Goodbye, carpet! - Tuesday, April 29, 2014 12:17 PM
A ferret owner with hardwood floors... now THAT's living! (im sure the waste can ruin the stain though if it's not cleaned up right away)
unclejoe
Re:Goodbye, carpet! - Tuesday, April 29, 2014 12:56 PM
Member in blocked list

Jump to:

Current active users
There are 0 members and 1 guests.
Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages