Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 Distemper vaccine
Miss.Fish

• Total Posts : 12
  • Reward points : 0
Distemper vaccine - Wednesday, April 09, 2014 12:26 PM
I haven't been able to get it for awhile, my vet office has had it on back order for nearly a year. Distemper is very uncommon around here but I would rather not put my babies at risk. My boyfriend found the vaccine online (we would bring it into the vet). Has anyone had good/bad experiences with online vaccines? would you recommend ordering it or just keep waiting for the vet supplies to have it avail?
Snapper13

• Total Posts : 155
Re:Distemper vaccine - Thursday, April 10, 2014 8:05 AM
If I remember correctly, there has been a shortage of Merial's PureVax. There is a second vaccine that is used, Nobivac Puppy-DPv, when the PureVax cannot be secured.

When was the last time you vaccinated for CDV?  Perhaps titering instead of vaccinating will give you peace of mind.

As for online drug stores, I have never used them for this.  I guess I'm a little leery of online drugs, for some unknown reason.
Miss.Fish

• Total Posts : 12
Re:Distemper vaccine - Thursday, April 10, 2014 11:21 AM
I was a little skeptical as well, which is why I asked. What is titering? My boys haven't had their shots since they were babies. I took them to the vet about 3 or 4 months after getting them and she had some left but they were expired so she didn't use them and they've been out ever since. They are now a year and a half, so it's been awhile!
Snapper13

• Total Posts : 155
Re:Distemper vaccine - Friday, April 11, 2014 7:36 AM
Titering is when they take a blood sample and test the blood against the virus.  If the blood shows significant amount of anti-bodies, you do not have to vaccinate.

Titering costs more than the shot, but in my case, it showed my kiddos were resistant to the virus ... VERY resistant to the virus, and we only titered every 18 months or so to keep an eye on the level.

Jump to:

Current active users
There are 0 members and 1 guests.
Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread