Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 Nipping feet and clothing
Fen

• Total Posts : 10
  • Reward points : 0
Nipping feet and clothing - Wednesday, November 12, 2014 9:06 PM
My new kit, Luna, has been fantastic at learning not to nip my hands - thanks to crate training she almost never does it anymore. But, she's constantly play biting at my feet and clothing, so I'm not entirely sure what to do. Whenever I walk around, she chases after me and pounces on my feet (adorable) and nips at them (not so adorable). And as I continue walking, I think she misinterprets it for playing, and it just gets her more excited. Plus, she'll bite my pant legs and hang on, and when I'm sitting on the sofa and she comes to join me, she'll bite my sleeves and other parts of my clothing.

Are there any suggestions for this? I saw on another thread here that Bitter Apple is good for foot biters, so I plan on getting that, but I'd rather not spray that all over my clothing. Should I also be crating her for biting my feet and clothes? 

Lastly, I think she may be deaf, so I don't think hissing and saying "no" will do anything. She'll be having her first vet visit in a few weeks, so I'll find out for sure if she's deaf or not then.
unclejoe
Re:Nipping feet and clothing - Wednesday, November 12, 2014 9:19 PM
Member in blocked list
Fen

• Total Posts : 10
Re:Nipping feet and clothing - Wednesday, November 12, 2014 11:09 PM
Thanks for your reply! She's still extremely young - just ten weeks old - so I know that nipping is normal and she doesn't mean it aggressively. As you said, I just want to make sure it doesn't develop into a bad habit that she keeps even when she grows up.

Would continued crate training be the best bet, or do you have any other suggestions?
wenmister
Re:Nipping feet and clothing - Thursday, November 13, 2014 7:23 AM
Member in blocked list
ordinarygirl

• Total Posts : 39
Re:Nipping feet and clothing - Thursday, November 13, 2014 12:21 PM
at 10 weeks old what has she done that makes you think she's deaf?  she certainly doesn't know her name by now and I've had ferrets much older who never seemed to know their name (I'm pretty sure Joey thinks his name is "Joey NO!" lol) 

if she's a blaze or panda she likely is or will be but you can find out yourself by making noise when you know she's not looking and see if she reacts to it.  If she doesn't - she's likely deaf.

If she is it will in no way affect her life - but it would affect how you train her.

Regarding the foot biting - you're exactly right that when you continue to walk she's like yippeeeeeeee play time!  My Daxy does this but he somehow knows not to bite bare feet - though he cannot resist a foot in a sock lol 

What the others have suggested is what I would try too - also you may want to learn the "Ferret Shuffle"  when you're walking while she's out - you just shuffle your feet instead of stepping to avoid stepping on a ferret you didn't know what under your foot AND to prevent you from falling when you realize there's a ferret in the spot where you're going to put your foot.
Momma to
Joseph Francis Tribiani aka Joey Came to his forever home 9/26/2011
Daxter Chandler Muriel Bing aka Daxy Came to his forever home 7/30/2014

Waiting at the Bridge:
Gabby, Rylee, Maya, Roxy Heart, Goofy and Tig
Vavastore10

• Total Posts : 1
  • Reward points : 10
Re:Nipping feet and clothing - Thursday, March 30, 2023 5:52 AM

Consider checking out VAVA Store for high-quality clothing options for any occasion, including celebrity-inspired designs like the Spider Man tuxedo. Their selection is sure to impress, and you'll be sure to find the perfect outfit for any event.

Jump to:

Current active users
There are 0 members and 1 guests.
Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread