Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 What kind of litter?
Boehme

• Total Posts : 9
  • Reward points : 0
What kind of litter? - Wednesday, November 18, 2015 1:37 PM
I have read all of the threads on helping to get your ferrets to poop in the box.  We have a 3 year old male and female.  The female seems to have finally gotten going in the box and the male was hit and miss and now all of the sudden he refuses to go in the boxes.  We have three of them in the pen and have put new paper on the ground because he won't go in the box.  We have two corner boxes and one cat box that I cut the side down so it is easy to get into.  I have been using blue buffalo crushed walnut pellet which has been great, there is no stink and the female has no problem with it and the male has been so so with it.  I have started to wonder if the litter is bothering him and I should try something else, but I don't know what would be a good litter for them.  If anyone has suggestions I would love it.  We reward them when they go in the box and I think that is what got the female to go we also keep the boxes clean.  The male will go by his bedding, his food and it doesn't have to be a corner either.  He has gone on stuffed animals as well.  My husband is ready to get rid of them which will make the boys very sad but between the male and his box problem and the female bites I can't blame him any more.
dw8649

• Total Posts : 7
Re:What kind of litter? - Wednesday, November 18, 2015 2:31 PM
I don't know if the litter is what is turning your ferret off from using the box, but after much trial and error, I feel the best litter is "Yesterdays News."  It's actually a cat litter, but I tried many ferret litters and it does great with the smell, and all my ferrets seem to like it.

I too have a mature ferret that struggles with using the box and it can be very frustrating.  As much as it bugs me when he goes wherever he wants, I try to weigh the good with the bad.  He's fun and loves to be handled so his litter issues are just something I have to deal with.

He used to be a biter too.  When he would bite, we would scruff him immediately, place our fingers around his mouth and say "No" firmly.  Maybe it was luck, but both our ferrets seemed to kick the habit after a couple of months being consistent with that.
Boehme

• Total Posts : 9
Re:What kind of litter? - Wednesday, November 18, 2015 4:33 PM
I am grasping at straws with the box issues. Our female is the biter and when we scruff her she becomes more aggresive. I finally started picking her up and imediantly gave her some feratone her favorite treat so she associated beibg picked up as a good thing. She is better but if you hold her for very long she will try to rip the skin off of your wrist.
bandit99
Re:What kind of litter? - Thursday, November 19, 2015 5:24 AM
Member in blocked list

Jump to:

Current active users
There are 0 members and 1 guests.
Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages