Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 New kit, hissed and is biting.
ZombieSlayerChick

• Total Posts : 49
  • Reward points : 0
New kit, hissed and is biting. - Sunday, April 05, 2015 12:42 AM
So on Friday I got a new little fuzzy, her papers say she's HARDLY two months, but she is a whole lot smaller then my other two Girls when I got them, at the same age. ( thinking she was either the runt or was bullied by the two boys she was with at pet food center) well one of the first things she did when my dad held her was bite me and not let go, I had to pry her little teeth out from under my finger nail. I dismissed it because I happened to smell like bacon >.< anyways, I was letting her and latte run around my room while I was laying down to close my eyes for a few minuets, and I felt a fuzzy climb on the blankets next to me, then a little scratchy tongue started licking my nose, well Shasta is highly know to do this to wake me up or get my attention, so I thought it was her, well, no, it was Logan, and she chomped down on my nose and held on tight, so I  scruffed her  and told her no, then she managed to swing around and bite my finger, which surprised me so I dropped her on my lap 3 inches or so, and she hissed at me( I'm assuming I startled her, it's a new house, environment, ferret and all) and tried biting me again, so I scruffed her again and told her no, and put her in time out. Let her be there for a few minuets then got her back out and she was perfectly fine again. Did I do the right thing? And she also tries to get nippy anytime she licks me, I'm thinking it's just a kit thing and if I stay on top of it it should go away ( I hope) any tips or advice? I was able to snuggle with her and play with her and watch her body language and such, there for preventing a few nips ( no bloods been drawn so they're just nips) I just want to train my baby right and avoid any future problems! I was lucky with Shasta and Latte ( RIP baby ) they Both NEVER bit me, Shasta was a tid bit mouthy but I nipped it in the butt.
First time ferrent =)
unclejoe
Re:New kit, hissed and is biting. - Sunday, April 05, 2015 2:53 PM
Member in blocked list
ZombieSlayerChick

Re:New kit, hissed and is biting. - Sunday, April 05, 2015 4:55 PM
Another thing today, the baby started play attacking Shasta and she just sat and took it, then the baby was bitting to hard because Shasta  started whining and trying to move away, but baby latched Onto her ear and hissed at her when she tried to get away, Shasta Stopped and kept whimpering, so I intervened and a ruffed the baby and told her no. 
First time ferrent =)
ZombieSlayerChick

Re:New kit, hissed and is biting. - Sunday, April 05, 2015 5:07 PM
I have till tomorrow to take her back and If she's going to bully Shasta I'm starting To think maybe I should... I would hate to but I just don't know!

EDIT: I'm gonna take her back :( I hate to but even during her "calm time" she's a total pistol out of control, and such a aggressive bitter! She was asleep on me and randomly popped up and bit me and wouldn't let go, I'm sure she's right for someone I just think it isn't me... She is so different from my first two ferrets who Were both docil, I think Shasta could of been as nippy but latte put her in her place, where as Shasta isn't doing that nearly enough, I'll get store credit for returning her and if I feel I made a mistake I can always get her back. 
<message edited by ZombieSlayerChick on Monday, April 06, 2015 10:52 AM>
First time ferrent =)
TomHeretic

• Total Posts : 46
Re:New kit, hissed and is biting. - Monday, April 06, 2015 11:20 AM
         Ferrets fight, even when they know and love each other. My ferrets fight every day, at least a little, it is their favorite way to play and have fun. Babies are normally pretty feisty, and females even more so. I haven't seen any mention of bad bleeding or pooping during the fight so I highly doubt they are hurting each other. I don't doubt that Shasta is a little scared because they are still getting to know each other, it doesn't sound like they were introduced very gradually. 2-3 days isn't giving the baby much of a chance IMO. She is acting very normally. She probably feels like she has to fight to secure her place in this new situation, every one of my groups of ferrets has had a "packleader" so to speak. They have a hierarchy and pecking order to figure out and it takes time. 
        Scruffing isn't a great deterrent to a ferret biting out of fear. It can make it much worse. I have experience with a bad biter who I also got when she was way too young. You have to love on them and you have to be fearless. No aggression. Some ferrets find it to be great fun if you make a big production when they bite you, its like a fun game of making you react. In that case you have to ignore like it is no big deal and they will get bored. Scruffing, bitter apple, nose tapping are all extremely ineffective in my opinion and will lead to a ferret that just doesn't like you. You have to handle her even more than the others, even if your instinct is to handle her less because you are afraid of getting bitten. The more you handle her without anything bad happening to her the more she will trust you and be comfortable instead of fearful. My most aggressive biter has turned into my biggest cuddler because of the amount of time I spent holding her and showing her things she couldn't normally reach. When Logan looks like she is about to come at you, pick her up and give her kisses and pets and put her back down. Maybe let her look out the window or something while you are holding her. If she comes at you again, do it again. If you need to, move to a short timeout from there but don't escalate it anymore than that. Don't give her a reason to be aggressive. Make her timeout spot somewhere other than her cage so she doesn't start cage raging. She also needs a place she can retreat to when she is getting stressed until your home and Shasta's home starts feeling like Logan's home. At this point it isn't Logan's home yet, just a strange new place with new humans and a new ferret who she doesn't know. I hope this helps, good luck!

TomHeretic

Re:New kit, hissed and is biting. - Monday, April 06, 2015 11:29 AM
Ugh. Just saw your edit after I replied. I'll just say I feel very sad for Logan and leave it at that. :(
wenmister
Re:New kit, hissed and is biting. - Monday, April 06, 2015 11:54 AM
Member in blocked list
ZombieSlayerChick

Re:New kit, hissed and is biting. - Monday, April 06, 2015 1:25 PM
I think I made the right choice for Shasta, she wouldn't even play with the baby, she only did once and that was for a little bit, when I would get them out of the cage they were sleeping on different levels and Shasta would avoid the baby. Ferrets go REALLY quick in my town and I NEVER see them for sale, and there is only one ferret rescue that I know of and it's in Indianapolis. 
First time ferrent =)
ZombieSlayerChick

Re:New kit, hissed and is biting. - Monday, April 06, 2015 1:57 PM
I still feel bad for returning her but if she isn't sold I asked what would happen and she would be taken back to the breeder and get the habit under control and then get her a good home. 
First time ferrent =)
TomHeretic

Re:New kit, hissed and is biting. - Monday, April 06, 2015 3:23 PM
Shasta just lost a cagemate, and had less than 3 days to get used to the new baby. They probably shouldn't have even been introduced yet. The fact that they slept in the cage together already was a pretty good sign that they would eventually get along. When ferrets get taken back to the pet store and sent back to the breeder.... I will just say it is not good and their chance at a good life is very slim. It would be a small miracle if she ever ends up in a good home. Logan will certainly be in my thoughts.... she deserved a chance to settle in. : (
unclejoe
Re:New kit, hissed and is biting. - Monday, April 06, 2015 6:47 PM
Member in blocked list
ZombieSlayerChick

Re:New kit, hissed and is biting. - Monday, April 06, 2015 9:59 PM
I feel really bad :( I just feel she was a bit to much for me to handle right now, I'm still learning, I'm new To fuzzbutts, I'm giving it my best....  I'm not experienced with training ferrets, give me a horse and I'll fix 'em right up for you, I just wouldn't want to be the one to bite off more then I can chew, I exchanged her out for a 3 month old boy, I think it was what's best for Shasta, shes my main priority, she kept going to him and licking his ears, she was showing him affection and he to her, after having him the remainder of today they've been playing and cuddling in the cage and grooming each other, I still feel this is what was best for Shasta...
And thanks UncleJoe, I really need some positive people about this decision, a lot of people were wanting to hold her even before we had the paper work done for returning her, this guy who used to have ferrets was looking into getting one with his girlfriend and he didn't want to put her down ( he was also googling over my baby Shasta lol) I don't know If he bought her or not as we left to see the other store location.... 
First time ferrent =)
TomHeretic

Re:New kit, hissed and is biting. - Thursday, April 09, 2015 3:39 PM
Yes, I understand that you are inexperienced with ferrets. That is why I responded to your post and attempted to help you. I am experienced with training a bad biter (not just a nippy kit like Logan) and I saw that you were making mistakes (mistakes that I made and learned from). I've dealt with blindness, deafness, insulinoma, adrenal disease, 2 of my ferrets are Waardy's with very quirky personalities....biting and fighting don't even register on my list of ferret issues anymore. I understand that me being negative about this decision isn't making you feel better. I'm not trying to be mean, I'm genuinely upset about Logan's situation and it is hard to hide that. In a weird way I feel like I failed to help Logan. If you end up needing help or advice in the future and I feel like I have something to offer you I will, I don't hold grudges. I come here to help ferrets and learn. I hope that everything works out for the best for all involved, you, Shasta, the new baby, and Logan.
ZombieSlayerChick

Re:New kit, hissed and is biting. - Thursday, April 09, 2015 8:14 PM
You'll be happy to know that Logan got bought by the couple who were there when I returned her ( I talked to the manager over the phone, she was there when I returned her too)the guy said that he grew up with ferrets, and before I found that out I was talking with my local ferret group and there was someone experienced that wanted to get her too but she had been sold already. 
First time ferrent =)

Jump to:

Current active users
There are 0 members and 1 guests.
Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message