Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 Ferret Proofing the house
Cuthahotha

• Total Posts : 10
  • Reward points : 0
Ferret Proofing the house - Tuesday, February 24, 2015 9:40 PM
Hi all.

I've been letting my furbutts out for a couple of hours a day.  It's amazing the kinds of places they are able to get into.  Wife's dog got all freaked out when one went under the door into the bedroom.

I'm going to have to figure out how to block access into the back of the various appliances in the kitchen.  It's that or figure out how to block off the kitchen, which is going to be difficult.  

Any techniques for blocking the open areas under the kick plate area of the counters?  I've got one spot that's open, and leads into the well that houses the dishwasher.   eg does stuffing something into the hole work, or do I need to take stuff apart and nail some wood in place.

Thoughts?
leeandparker

• Total Posts : 70
Re:Ferret Proofing the house - Wednesday, March 11, 2015 8:52 PM
I took left over tile from our kitchen redo and cut it to size. I put it between the appliances and the walls blocking off places like behind the fridge. If you are having problems with them getting under doors you might want to get one of those draft blockers that you slip under the door. 
unclejoe
Re:Ferret Proofing the house - Wednesday, March 11, 2015 9:08 PM
Member in blocked list
Seelen

• Total Posts : 193
Re:Ferret Proofing the house - Tuesday, April 07, 2015 7:09 PM
The only appliance mine were able to get to in this house was the dish washer, there was a square hole they could get through. I jammed paper in there (Like super packed tight) and they scratch and scratch but haven't gotten through, but I was not expecting that to work. Getting ready to re-do the kitchen possibly so that won't be an issue shortly. 

I only intended it to be a temp fix but it worked so well I never went further. I'd say better safe than sorry - perhaps some edging along that part of the cabinet? 
wacferret

• Total Posts : 92
Re:Ferret Proofing the house - Wednesday, April 08, 2015 7:30 PM
Attaching something (trim, molding, tile, 2x4, whatever) will be better than just stuffing the hole with something. It may work for a while but they can be persistent and SNEAKY and one day no problem next you find whatever you stuffed in the hole in the middle of the floor and a ferret that is MIA. For the under door issue the draft blocker may work but if the gap is too wide, again you may need to attach something to the bottom of the door to reduce the size of the gap so it is too small for a ferret BTW Ferret Proofing NEVER stops! You think you got it all and they come up with a new way/place you hadn't considered. Sneaky Ferts!

Jump to:

Current active users
There are 0 members and 1 guests.
Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread