Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 Ferrets and Babies
Gnoam

• Total Posts : 1
  • Reward points : 0
Ferrets and Babies - Thursday, February 19, 2015 2:32 PM
Hi everybody! I need some advice. My wife and I are expecting a baby (a human baby) and our due date is April 1st. Out ferret just turned 4. He's very friendly, and licks almost all of our guests. still, we're looking for any advice of how to introduce between the two. any tips or advice are welcome. thank you
wenmister
Re:Ferrets and Babies - Thursday, February 19, 2015 4:20 PM
Member in blocked list
Jfranks85

• Total Posts : 117
Re:Ferrets and Babies - Sunday, February 22, 2015 5:59 AM
I agree with wenmister on holding of on introductions. On that note.... just about every ferret I've ever owned has been around a baby, normally just a few months old and up. I've never had problems. When I was with my ex, I would come home, sit his son (at the beginning just 2 months old) down in the floor in his car seat and my boy would climb into the car seat and curl up and go to sleep until I was done unloading the car.

Congrats on the new human addition!
Cuthahotha

• Total Posts : 10
Re:Ferrets and Babies - Tuesday, February 24, 2015 9:53 PM

Rule #1, never leave your baby unattended while any animal is out and about.  Dog, cat, ferret, etc.  The likely-hood of anything happening is remote, but you don't want to be that one statistic.

I don't see a good reason for an introduction.  The child isn't old enough to appreciate the ferret, and the ferret is going to do what?  Snuggle up?  Not if you adhere to Rule #1.  Until the child is old enough to know not to squeeze/harm the ferret I don't think having them together makes much sense.   Someone, human or carpet shark, is going to get hurt.  

leeandparker

• Total Posts : 70
Re:Ferrets and Babies - Wednesday, March 11, 2015 8:49 PM
I agree to wait and hold off on introductions but definitely get your fuzzie a friend. If you haven't had kids yet you will definitely not have time for your fuzzie, so he/she might not feel appreciated. Ferrets can be somewhat territorial and might not like a new baby around the house especially if it takes away from their attention. You might get a pooping problem on things that smell like the baby. 

Jump to:

Current active users
There are 0 members and 1 guests.
Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread