Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 Choosing a ferret that will get along with dogs/cats
Ellusionz

• Total Posts : 16
  • Reward points : 0
Choosing a ferret that will get along with dogs/cats - Wednesday, December 24, 2014 7:45 PM
Since I work in a shelter I'm sure I'll see the normal answer I give that it's normally the personality that varies in if they'll do well with another animal or if they've had previous bad experiences...but do any of y'all find introducing a ferret to your dog and/or cat that a younger or older one does better? Or if adopted from a rescue do most people share details of animals they've interacted with like they do at mine? I was contemplating adopting a single ferret in hopes it would bond to me more than its partner but could it feel more comfortable during the introduction having having its partner? Thanks for any tips y'all have!
jessicadelage

• Total Posts : 11
Re:Choosing a ferret that will get along with dogs/cats - Thursday, December 25, 2014 6:16 PM
I think the younger then better for introducing to new animals. My first was 6 months old when I got him and he loved the other animals in the house (my cats and dog were scared of him though). My other two were already 2 years old when I got them and they never totally got used to the other animals. I think you should definitely get at least 2 ferrets. I got my first as a single ferret and though he was fine but when I got the other two he was so much happier. I would never get just one again.
unclejoe
Re:Choosing a ferret that will get along with dogs/cats - Thursday, December 25, 2014 6:23 PM
Member in blocked list
Ellusionz

• Total Posts : 16
Re:Choosing a ferret that will get along with dogs/cats - Thursday, December 25, 2014 8:23 PM
Thanks for the replies. It seems most the rescues mainly have bonded pairs anyways so I might go that route unless the have one I like that needs to be a single one anyways.
Jfranks85

• Total Posts : 117
Re:Choosing a ferret that will get along with dogs/cats - Sunday, December 28, 2014 5:51 AM
I've owned 10 ferrets over the years. The first 5 lived in the house with a Sheltie. Another 2 lived with an old calico cat of mine. Now my 2 boys are with my cat Spunky. Spunky wasn't quite a year when introduced to the boys, and neither were any of the other pets in the year. They've all gotton along great. The sheltie, as she got older, would have nothing to do with them, but in the younger year it was all friendly play
fuzzyferngulley

• Total Posts : 39
Re:Choosing a ferret that will get along with dogs/cats - Sunday, December 28, 2014 12:32 PM
I did slow intros with my ferrets and animals. As I have 4 cats and 3 dogs. I have had my ferrets for a few months now, with exception of my newbie Clyde. At first everyone was a little timid. But now none of them think any thing of it. My ferrets chase and try to play with my cats and dogs. But the cats and dogs arent really sure how to play with them just yet.none of my animals have ever seen a ferret until now...lol, so they are still trying to figure them out. but they all get along well.
<message edited by fuzzyferngulley on Sunday, December 28, 2014 12:33 PM>
Current fuzzies: Ferngulley , Clementine, Clyde , Casper, Rose

Plus: 6 rats, 4 cats, 3 dogs, 2 turtles

Jump to:

Current active users
There are 0 members and 1 guests.
Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages