Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 Insulinoma Surgery
Kris_Ferrets

• Total Posts : 20
  • Reward points : 0
Insulinoma Surgery - Friday, May 23, 2014 9:12 PM
So we have an appointment this coming Tuesday (27th) for Emile to have the 'nodules' the vet found on his pancreas, removed. For those who have had surgery done on their ferrets with Insulinoma, is there anything I should be prepared for post-op when we take him home? How did they recover? Were there any issues afterwards? Are there things I need to keep in mind when caring for him once he's home until he's fully recovered? Obviously I will have a "hospital cage" ready just for him when he comes home, to monitor his food/water intake and poop output, and keep the other ferrets from messing with the incision. My husband and I are just so worried about him, as he is almost 6 years old now. The vet says he'll be fine, but we still have "those thoughts".
unclejoe
Re:Insulinoma Surgery - Friday, May 23, 2014 9:42 PM
Member in blocked list
bandit99
Re:Insulinoma Surgery - Friday, May 23, 2014 10:57 PM
Member in blocked list
Kris_Ferrets

Re:Insulinoma Surgery - Saturday, May 24, 2014 12:16 AM
Hmm, our vet advocates the surgery over long term medication, and seems to think Emile would be fine even at his age. Even on the Insulinoma info sheet on this forum it says "In an otherwise healthy ferret, the treatment of choice is surgery..." He is currently on 0.1 ml of pred twice a day. I'm sure he will want to keep him on the pred for a little bit after the surgery and slowly wean him off it. Our vet is extremely knowledgable in ferrets, and is the only 'state of the art' exotic vet in the entire state currently. He gave me 5 extra months with Bean, who was diagnosed with advanced heartworm disease. I trust our ferrets with him, I just hope Emile will pull through ok, especially for my husband's sake (Emile is 'his' ferret)
bandit99
Re:Insulinoma Surgery - Saturday, May 24, 2014 3:33 AM
Member in blocked list
Kris_Ferrets

Re:Insulinoma Surgery - Tuesday, May 27, 2014 5:49 AM
Well... today is the surgery. We leave in an hour or so. Please keep us in your thoughts and prayers today :( I will update again once the vet calls us later today to let us know how everything went.
wenmister
Re:Insulinoma Surgery - Tuesday, May 27, 2014 6:53 AM
Member in blocked list
unclejoe
Re:Insulinoma Surgery - Tuesday, May 27, 2014 9:14 AM
Member in blocked list
crisp20

• Total Posts : 216
Re:Insulinoma Surgery - Tuesday, May 27, 2014 12:25 PM
best of luck, hope everything goes well!
Kris_Ferrets

Re:Insulinoma Surgery - Wednesday, May 28, 2014 2:40 PM
Heard from the vet yesterday after the surgery, and he said everything went fine and he was in recovery. Waiting for them to call me today with another update on him.
wenmister
Re:Insulinoma Surgery - Wednesday, May 28, 2014 5:39 PM
Member in blocked list
unclejoe
Re:Insulinoma Surgery - Wednesday, May 28, 2014 10:42 PM
Member in blocked list
Kris_Ferrets

Re:Insulinoma Surgery - Thursday, May 29, 2014 6:27 PM
We actually just picked him up this morning! (he was ready to go yesterday, but when the lady called it was too close to their closing time and we wouldn't have made it lol). He was bright eyed and very inquisitive when we picked him up, something I hadn't seen for a while. He's got a wicked scar though lol yikes. Procedures done were: laparotomy, pancreatic nodulectomy, partial pancreatectomy and lymph node biopsies (which were enlarged). He's sleeping right now, going to be watching him closely for the next week. Attached a pic of him
Attached Image(s)
unclejoe
Re:Insulinoma Surgery - Thursday, May 29, 2014 9:38 PM
Member in blocked list
Kris_Ferrets

Re:Insulinoma Surgery - Tuesday, December 30, 2014 4:41 AM
Hey guys! It's been quite a while since I've posted anything, but just wanted to give an update on Emile. He has been absolutely perfect since the surgery. No more lethargy, not a single 'episode', and is always bright eyed and active. He isn't on any medication either. I couldn't be happier with his progress. If any of you are in the south-eastern part of SC, I HIGHLY recommend Dr. Jose Biascoechea of Birds and Exotics Animal Care in Mount Pleasant, SC. He is absolutely wonderful and has been a blessing to us and our ferrets.

Jump to:

Current active users
There are 0 members and 1 guests.
Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread