Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 What would cause shivering, and a seizure?
FurPerson

• Total Posts : 11
  • Reward points : 0
What would cause shivering, and a seizure? - Friday, December 12, 2014 2:14 PM
My ferret, Dakota, seemed to have some kind of seizure today. I had noticed over the past couple of weeks he's been shivering a lot, like he's cold, even when the room temperature is fairly warm. I figured it might just be from weather changes combined with the fact that he's an OLD ferret, but now I'm not so sure. A little bit after noon today, I noticed he was shivering almost uncontrollably, and so I went to put some warmer bedding materials in his cage, plus a heating pad. I put him in his cage so he could rest in the warm, but then he suddenly fell off the ramp that leads to the upper portion of his cage, and lay on the bottom of the cage, drooling and kicking around like something about to die. It was really scary. I held him until it stopped, almost expecting him to die, but he came right out of it and started acting like his normal self again.

I am not sure what that was all about, but it has me really concerned for him. He does not seem to be showing any signs of insulinoma, adrenal disease, or other common ferret illnesses, so I am just stumped on this one. The soonest I can get him to the vet is Monday. In the meantime, does anyone have ideas on what may have caused this? 
unclejoe
Re:What would cause shivering, and a seizure? - Friday, December 12, 2014 2:55 PM
Member in blocked list
FurPerson

• Total Posts : 11
  • Reward points : 0
Re:What would cause shivering, and a seizure? - Friday, December 12, 2014 4:32 PM
Thanks for the info. I wasn't sure it would be insulinoma because he hasn't lost weight, no weakness in the back legs (except after the seizure, of course, he seemed so disoriented he couldn't really stand at all for a couple of moments) and he's had a good appetite up until today. He hasn't eaten much, if anything, since the seizure, just been resting at the top of his cage where I put a heating pad for him. I will keep a close eye on him til Monday, and if a seizure happens again I will try the corn syrup on his gums and see if that helps any. Thanks much!
wenmister
Re:What would cause shivering, and a seizure? - Friday, December 12, 2014 6:24 PM
Member in blocked list

Jump to:

Current active users
There are 0 members and 1 guests.
Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message