Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 Hyperkeratosis of the Footpads- Canine Distemper??
Heather3364

• Total Posts : 1
  • Reward points : 0
Hyperkeratosis of the Footpads- Canine Distemper?? - Wednesday, September 03, 2014 6:37 PM
Hi there. My ferret, Rosey, is almost 9 months old. About a month ago she was VERY sick. She was extremely lethargic and stopped eating. We took her to the vet and they said she had a very severe infection according to her blood work. They said they couldn't tell exactly what was going on without doing an x-ray and an ultrasound which would cost about $500 on top of the $300 we were already spending. Financially we couldn't do that. So we got the antibitiotic and took her home.

We took excellent care of her- hand fed her chicken w/ gravy baby food through a syringe, same with water, and gave her the antibiotic as according to instructions. Finally, after about 2.5 weeks she started walking around again, and eating on her own.

Now it has been about 1.5 months since she first got sick. She was walking around and eating and using the bathroom normally, but still not running and playing as normal...

Now she is getting slow again, shaking sometimes, and becoming lethargic again. I noticed that she was walking weird so looked at her paws. From research, it appears she has hyperkeratosis on her footpads. The back 2 look worse, but the front 2 are more painful. It is a yellowish, crustiness on her pads and a little redness too. I got some pet Q-tips that have antiseptic of some kind on them so have been cleaning them and also applying this cat paw cream that is supposed to help soothe and she likes the taste of it (there is nothing harmful in it). 

So far, no improvement. I am freaked out because from the research I've done this can be a sign of Canine Distemper. However, she does not have many of the symptoms that are typical with canine distemper. 

HELP, what is going on with her?! I know I can take her to the vet but they were not very knowledgable in regards to ferrets so I am not sure how much good it would do. What should I do? I really hope its not Canine Distemper!!
unclejoe
Re:Hyperkeratosis of the Footpads- Canine Distemper?? - Wednesday, September 03, 2014 8:31 PM
Member in blocked list

Jump to:

Current active users
There are 0 members and 1 guests.
Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message