Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 New here and full of questions!!
zerolikesboots

• Total Posts : 4
  • Reward points : 0
New here and full of questions!! - Sunday, August 03, 2014 8:05 AM
So, about a month ago I got a little furry ball of snow. His name is Zero, he is about a year old as far as I know, and he has actually adapted well to the moving, especially since my friend gave him to me after a couple of weeks of having him because he was too rough on her older male ferret. I do have a couple of questions and I wasn't sure on where exactly to post them since they're all about different topics. First of all, he's a biter. I have read that grabbing them by the scruff would help and I've also tried the four/five minute time out since I do know that they'll forget why they're in time out if you leave them there for too long. Anyways, about the scruff method: Sometimes when he gets too excited he likes biting my arms/forearms, or when he's playing with a ball and I pick it up to throw it he launches at me and bites me like there's no tomorrow. When he bites, I grab him by the scuff, but sometimes he gets a bit more aggressive. I'm not sure whether I'm holding him wrong or he's just too excited to want to stay put because he has no problem when I grab him like that when he's in places where I can't scoop him up. Should I keep holding him like that till he calms down? Or should I let him calm down by himself? Second: The cage I have for him is a one level cage but he always wants out, even after being out for his play time. Should I buy him a bigger cage? Or should I let him out for longer periods of time? Third: Does any of your guys' little ones prefer sleeping on a blanket on the bottom rather than a hammock? Zero doesn't really like sleeping on his. Fourth: How can I get him out of the habit of jumping on our dining table and such? He's pretty curious, and I honestly don't mind him getting on the table when no one is eating, but one time he actually got on and took a sliced avocado and hid it under my bed to munch on.(x And last but most important!: I will be starting school in a couple of weeks which won't actually take that much time only like three to four hours out of my day (Mon.-Thur.), but I was also thinking about getting a part time job. Mainly because I actually want to buy him a bigger cage, toys, and more litter boxes since I do tend to let him run lose most of the time around the house. And I was wondering whether it is the perfect timing to get him a companion? Which would of course mean, bigger cage = number one on my shopping list. However, although not 100% sure if it's true, I did read somewhere that some ferrets are better off alone because that means more "me" time when you play with them, meaning they get your full attention, and that got me thinking back on how he was a rough playmate with my friends ferret. On the other hand, I believe her ferret was 3 years old and I guess it was the age difference? What do you guys think?? Would it be better if I got another male of a female? Should they be the same age or does it not matter?? Oh, and for the laughs I added a picture of the derpy face he makes when he sleeps.(x
Attached Image(s)
Dookeril

• Total Posts : 21
Re:New here and full of questions!! - Sunday, August 03, 2014 9:46 PM
I raised all of my ferrets that scruffing was a neutral thing. It wasn't punishment/negative or a bad thing. One of my female rescues, Lexy, was almost next to impossible to scruff (She was a terrible biter too, but she's better now). I got an empty carrier (I bought one separate carrier specifically used for time-outs) and I put her in there for no more than two minutes. It took a few months, but she eventually figured it out. The key is to be consistent. Scruffing is a natural thing for ferrets, so he isn't in discomfort at all... Sometimes you gotta have a good grip on them if they squirm around a lot.

A leveled cage is highly recommended and ideal. Ferrets, if alone, should get at least 5 + hours of playtime a day. The cage is probably too small if it is one level... As they are active animals and Zero is a kit; babies have lots of energy! Get him a bigger cage if you can! You both will be happier. :) 

Ferrets are naturally burrowing animals so just placing a few blankets, towels, old shirts, etc. they will happily burrow, play and sleep in them. Mine prefer to sleep in blankets than in hammocks. 

Majority of ferrets are very, very social animals. Many do best with a friend. I have no idea where you read that ferrets prefer to be alone to have more "me" time... However, there are ferrets that just naturally solitary animals. My female absolutely hates other ferrets while Ramsey would be a depressed little guy if he didn't have a friend. If you are going back to school and working, try to get him a friend with a bigger cage. Not only will he be happier, but you'll have to be less stressed about giving him hours of attention, homework, working again, and you get the idea. :P Male or female... It shouldn't matter. I found males to be more cuddlier and calmer though. When you do find Zero a friend, let them interact with each other first so you can see how they will get along. I initially brought Lexy home as a friend for Ramsey but it never happened... lol

Best of luck. If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask.
unclejoe
Re:New here and full of questions!! - Monday, August 04, 2014 10:50 AM
Member in blocked list
Seelen

• Total Posts : 193
Re:New here and full of questions!! - Sunday, August 10, 2014 2:39 PM
I've posted it a few times before, but also keep an eye out at petsmart for their percentage off sales online. I managed to get my double level ferret nation for 87$ plus shipping (I think it was just over $100 after everything)  I think it was like a 20% off online purchases but I bought a few other things and it drove the cost of the cage down insanely. It was a phenomenal deal. I have also seen some listed on craigslist, as well. Seeing as you're in a larger area of texas you may have better luck than I did on that avenue.:)

Welcome!
CynLC243

• Total Posts : 8
Re:New here and full of questions!! - Friday, August 22, 2014 7:17 PM
Not sure if all Petcos are the same but the one closest to me is doing 50% off ferrets and cages next weekend. If you have one in your area you should check and see if they are running that same deal and if they aren't, when they are? It's a great deal. If I didn't have everything I needed already I would def take advantage of it. I was going to get another ferret that weekend but of coarse, I couldn't wait XD 

I may go just for an extra cage. If I do though, I bet I come home with my 4th ferret :D 
[Cynthia, Daisy, Duke, & Bear]

Jump to:

Current active users
There are 0 members and 1 guests.
Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message