Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 Love My Ferret, But Theres So Much I Need Advice On! Help!
ariannamarissa

• Total Posts : 1
  • Reward points : 0
Love My Ferret, But Theres So Much I Need Advice On! Help! - Friday, July 18, 2014 6:14 PM
So I had bought this adorable ferret, (My First ferret) Mazy back in February of this year from this very nice lady. She turned 1 years old in March so I understand younger ferrets can be pretty naughty. Anyways, my first issue is DIGGING. I had bought a very nice IKEA couch for my Studio, and the ENTIRE underside is ripped to shreds, ive tried duct taping the holes she dug and she will just keep digging more. Some people have said that it's natural behavior and theres no changing it, but others have said that they've trained their ferrets to not dig. How do I go about this? She gets stuck inside of my couch and i will spend almost a half hour trying to pull her out. She also has been finding spots around my apartment and digs up my carpet. (There goes my security deposit) Second issue, Pooping on the floor. She is litter box trained but as soon as shes out she runs in a corner and poops. It never happend when i first got her and now it's becoming an issue. I have never changed the type of litter she uses also but i clean it out 1-2 times a day. I've noticed when I have people over, she just squats in plain sight and POOPS in front of everyone! But when its just me here, she will do it really sneaky like. The way i discipline her is i scruff her as soon as i catch her and tell her NO. and put her in her kennel for a bit. I need help, shes so cute and i love her to death but she is driving me bananas D:
unclejoe
Re:Love My Ferret, But Theres So Much I Need Advice On! Help! - Friday, July 18, 2014 7:00 PM
Member in blocked list
wenmister
Re:Love My Ferret, But Theres So Much I Need Advice On! Help! - Saturday, July 19, 2014 7:04 AM
Member in blocked list
leeandparker

• Total Posts : 70
Re:Love My Ferret, But Theres So Much I Need Advice On! Help! - Tuesday, July 22, 2014 5:32 PM
Ferrets LOVE to dig. The ferrets we have are bred from working ferrets who tunnel through rabbit holes so they've got digging grown into them. Like uncle joe said a dig box is a must must must XD Now another thing is it sounds like she is your only ferret. Ferrets NEVER do well alone. People will argue they are ok alone but it just isn't the same. I have been doing a study on ferrets as part of my veterinary schooling and hope to one day get it published. Ferrets are companionship animals. They need other ferrets to be happy. Human companionship is not enough so it often makes spiteful ferrets. The pooping doesn't seem like a training problem but an attention problem. Ferrets are some of the smartest household animals. You mentioned she does it especially when people are over. She sees you have friends over to play so why can't she XD. Ferrets do see these kind of things and can use pooping as a weapon. One of my girls will poop on my bed or anything that smells like me whenever I chide her for chewing on something or for getting in trouble. Scruffing can be a good behavioral technique but it doesn't work for all ferrets. Sometimes it has negative effects such as time out. They often don't understand time out so all they see is you punishing them. I'd highly recommend getting her a companion to play with. We just can't provide them the attention they need. They need friends they can eat, sleep, play, and poop with all day long. But if you already have another ferret then this might not be the case. She could just be regressing or using her pooping as an attention mechanism. 
unclejoe
Re:Love My Ferret, But Theres So Much I Need Advice On! Help! - Tuesday, July 22, 2014 5:42 PM
Member in blocked list
leeandparker

• Total Posts : 70
Re:Love My Ferret, But Theres So Much I Need Advice On! Help! - Tuesday, July 22, 2014 5:53 PM
Haha yah it's crazy. They found a way up on my desk, so they like pushing everything off of it when I'm at class or work and not giving them my undivided attention. 

Jump to:

Current active users
There are 0 members and 1 guests.
Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread