Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 Back Injury! I need advice!
4littlefuzzies

• Total Posts : 4
  • Reward points : 0
Back Injury! I need advice! - Sunday, June 22, 2014 10:13 AM
Needing some advice! One of my babies, Ron, has hurt his back somehow and has lost use of his hind legs. Hes been to his vet the vet did bloodwork and confirmed it is an injury not an illness he gave me some meds for pain and swelling and its bascially a wait and see if he pulls through kind of game. I want to do everything I possibly can for him, so im really wondering if this has happened to anyone else and how your fuzzy fared through it all! Also he sleeps constanly he hasnt pooped or eaten since Sat around 5 pm which is when I noticed the promlem and rushed him to the vet. Now its Sun 10 am and vet is closed. So im wondering what I should do to get him to eat something. Im giving him water with the same syringe I use to give him his meds so hes getting some water and he is peeing. Please help a worried mommy im so scared for my babyboy!
Weezlemum

• Total Posts : 29
Re:Back Injury! I need advice! - Sunday, June 22, 2014 10:34 AM
Went through this with Justice, her injury was way low in her back, close to the base of her tail.  Vet suggested water therapy. We'd fill the tub with water (just enough so she'd barely float, take a cloth to help support and balance her under tummy then get her to move in the water.  Justice regained some use but with age lost it, she lived played attacked (like a snake) for 5yrs with her back problem.  She'd be up on all fours for a day or so then she drag for a bit then back up this continued for a few years then it was always dragging.  But she was completely happy, totally spoiled and loved by all. Especially her furry family.  They tended to cater to her after she started to regress a bit.  
4littlefuzzies

Re:Back Injury! I need advice! - Sunday, June 22, 2014 3:04 PM
Thanks for the reply! I feel better knowing if this is permanent it doesnt have to mean he will suffer. Ive been super worried for him!
Weezlemum

Re:Back Injury! I need advice! - Monday, June 23, 2014 10:50 AM
I seen pictures of ferrets who their humans either made or had wheels for them.  I tried one that the Poppy person here made for Justice, but she HATED it!  and she got around much better without it.  Some do some don't, they needed the extra support and mobility.  Good luck with your kid and hope all goes good.   Have you gotten him/her to eat yet??  That is really important that they eat.  If the little one is not eating get some AD carnivore care (by prescription) or Royal Canine critical care diet. PetSmart carries both. Can also feed meat only stage 2 baby food.  read ingredients make sure only contains meat.  you can also cook up some chicken and puree it in the blender using the juices from it.  which ever you decide on thin out with water so you can syringe or a bit thicker to spoon or finger feed.  soups also help with keeping them hydrated 

Removed repeated text

<message edited by unclejoe on Monday, June 23, 2014 11:48 AM>
4littlefuzzies

Re:Back Injury! I need advice! - Monday, June 23, 2014 12:22 PM
I added water to his ferret chow and hes been eating that from a spoon and I feed him furrovite cause I knew hed eat that. I still have to hand feed him but things in that department are looking up. He definitely requires round the clock care now. I hope he can get back to eating on his own.
Weezlemum

Re:Back Injury! I need advice! - Monday, June 23, 2014 12:57 PM
The paste stuff is full of sugars..  you'd be better off with a meat based soup. 
4littlefuzzies

Re:Back Injury! I need advice! - Wednesday, July 09, 2014 12:01 PM
Update on ron, hes got a fracture on his upper spine. Without surgery hes gonna stay how he is now. So I was wondering where you got your wheelchair or if you knew how I could look into getting him one. He pulls himself around alright but hes given himself a sore on his penis so im not gonna be able to let him pull himself too much. I try to put him in a sock or ferret tshirt but he gets right out of it. Im hoping, taking inspiration from little Justice, that he will be just fine to live like this. He eats his solid food, all by himself, and desperatly wants out with the other ferrets. That gives me hope that he couldnt be suffering if hes in the mood to play. I have immensely appricaited your advice.
lnsybean44

• Total Posts : 9
Re:Back Injury! I need advice! - Wednesday, July 16, 2014 3:35 AM
Here are cart instructions  http://www.instructables.com/id/The-FerretMobile-DIY-Ferret-Wheelchair/
Moparkat

• Total Posts : 3
Re:Back Injury! I need advice! - Thursday, July 24, 2014 1:58 PM
Two scenarios we have had personal experience with.

One a kit shipped to the pet store, broke two vertebrae in his lower back.  With cage confinement, they fused BUT he never lost the feeling in his feet nor was he never in control of his bowels.  He has regained all the use of his rear legs with water therapy - swimming - but this was after we knew the vertebrae were fused.  Jacob is now 2.5 years old and a you wouldn't know he had any disabilities.  He walks, jumps and runs with an "odd gait" that only ferret owners would notice.

Second ferret, 6 year old male, reported to have fallen from the top of his cage.  Broke his spine in two places in his lower back, no feeling in one foot but could move one leg.  Could not control bowels.  Confined cage rest - he was not happy with that - and cleaning him daily.  He developed urine scalding which we got under control.  But one day, a week into having him, he turned agressive and didn't want to eat.  Back to the vet for more Xrays.  His intestines shut down. 

We gave the second ferret a chance but honestly, if we have another who cannot control their bowels, we will let them cross the Rainbow Bridge.
Sammy's Clubhouse
Spokane Ferret Rescue and Education

Jump to:

Current active users
There are 0 members and 1 guests.
Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages