Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 One is Anti Social and One is a Biter HELP!
furiousROOSTER

• Total Posts : 8
  • Reward points : 0
One is Anti Social and One is a Biter HELP! - Wednesday, April 16, 2014 10:44 PM
So Eleanor is my 3.5 year old albino female which we have had solo since her cage mate passed.  We just adopted Stella and Star who are 2.5 years old cagemates.  Let me explain my problems.

-Eleanor
So Eleanor seems to be totally anti social with the other ferrets.  For now I have them seperated for the most part since really she doesn't get along with them.  When ever Star comes near her she just stops what shes doing and trys to stay still and ready to bolt if anything looks funny.  At first I thought they got along but in reality Star doesn't really try to interact if she shows no interest (He prefers to roll a ball around the apartment with his nose for HOURS).  Now here comes Stella who doesn't give up so easily.  Same as star except Stella goes right for Eleanor which then i find Eleanor running away untill she gets cornered in the cage.  I break it up and Stella seems fine and Eleanor is all puffed out.  I can't tell if Stella is being a bully or if Eleanor is just being anti social.  Also to point out Eleanor never seem to start any conflict.

-Stella
So i just adopted Stella with her cagemate last weekend.  Stella is a 2.5 year old biter.  I think she might have been abused since she scares real easy.  There is another post on this thread which has a tip on how to hold a ferret to help prevent getting bitten but i would like some more information.  I know that when she bites i need to scruff, say no, blow on her face, and possibly drag her a little on the floor.  I also tried hissing at her when she bit me 4 times in a row(It felt silly but it kinda worked).  I would love to get tips and tricks on how you guys interact with biters as in are there diffrent ways you guys play with them.  Any advice would be great. 
Snapper13

• Total Posts : 155
Re:One is Anti Social and One is a Biter HELP! - Thursday, April 17, 2014 7:26 AM
Sounds like they are trying to determine the "pecking" order.  Have you tried incorporating bedding from each other's cages so that they get used to the scents?

As for question #2, what kind of markings does Stella have.  Could she be deaf?
unclejoe
Re:One is Anti Social and One is a Biter HELP! - Thursday, April 17, 2014 9:15 AM
Member in blocked list
furiousROOSTER

Re:One is Anti Social and One is a Biter HELP! - Thursday, April 17, 2014 6:02 PM
She is not deaf but funny thing is she will only bite skin or shoes.  If i wear longsleve she explores until she find skin.  I am taking Eleanore to the vet tuesday since I think she might have Insulinoma.  I am gonna try to get that sorted out before i try any harder to get them to bond.  Last thing I want is to cause stress on an unhealthy ferret.

For now I have a two story ferret nation cage where eleanor sleeps on top and star and stella sleep on the bottom.
cchaney915

• Total Posts : 6
Re:One is Anti Social and One is a Biter HELP! - Monday, April 21, 2014 12:16 PM
I don't really have any helpful input for question number one besides that I agree with Snapper, they're probably working out who is boss. For the second question- I adopted a deaf ferret who was a TERRIBLE biter when I got her. The first time I held her all she wanted to do was bite me. Even though I obviously had reservations about this, I adopted her. I have had her about...two months now, maybe? She is almost completely trained when it comes to not nipping anymore. I did most of what you mentioned in your post. When she would bite I would IMMEDIATELY pick her up and scruff her while making an angry face (She's deaf so that was interesting to work around) and mouthing no and shaking a finger at her. If she did it again within a few short moments I would do the same thing: scruff, angry face, "no", finger wag, then I would drag her a little on the bed or floor. If she did it a third time I would do all of the above then put her in time out for a minute or two. Make sure when you put your biter down however after scruffing that you set them down by a toy or something so they are distracted and onto something new and don't instead turn around and immediately bite you again. I believe I read that that is just "setting them up" to repeat the behavior because they are not happy that you just scolded them. I know it sounds like a lot of work and you have to be very repetitive. Get a technique and do the exact same technique every time and I can almost promise that with some time you will no longer have a biter. If Stella was abused like you thought, it may take a little longer because she has to learn to trust again and become familiar with you and that you are a safe person to be around, that you're not going to incorrectly scold her or harm her when she does something bad. Like I said, about two months (with a deaf and extremely stubborn little girl) and my Izzy is no longer biting. Also, when you play, don't play with your hands or feet, use a toy. They bite when they play and will associate hands and feet as a toy they are allowed to bite if you do that. Hold a little stuffed toy or something if you're going to use your hands. Best of luck!
unclejoe
Re:One is Anti Social and One is a Biter HELP! - Monday, April 21, 2014 2:24 PM
Member in blocked list
furiousROOSTER

Re:One is Anti Social and One is a Biter HELP! - Tuesday, April 29, 2014 7:49 PM
Hmm not great really.  Stella get really agressive with eleanor to the point that it looks like she is doing aligator rolls and has this death grip going.  Sadly we feel like we might have to return them to the shelter.  
unclejoe
Re:One is Anti Social and One is a Biter HELP! - Tuesday, April 29, 2014 8:15 PM
Member in blocked list
furiousROOSTER

Re:One is Anti Social and One is a Biter HELP! - Thursday, May 01, 2014 8:22 AM
Eleanore condition i think just went real bad.  I took the day off work to take her to the vet when they open but last night she was not up very much and i gave her new food and cleaned out the litter before going to bed.  SHe hardly ate anything at all or drank anything and she looks really tired.  Her poop is really runny.  We had her blood tested and they said her levels for low blood sugar was around 110 so they dont think she has insulinoma.  From what i gathered on the web she might have an ulcer or ECE.  I went ahead and feed her some gerbers chickend in chicken broth with some water.  It also looks like she has minor siezures or shivers.  Well this has been a horrible day so far.
unclejoe
Re:One is Anti Social and One is a Biter HELP! - Thursday, May 01, 2014 1:10 PM
Member in blocked list
furiousROOSTER

Re:One is Anti Social and One is a Biter HELP! - Thursday, May 01, 2014 3:38 PM
just got back 2 hours ago from the vet and he think she might have the flu.  She was dehydrated and had a fever (104 which he said was high).  He gave her some shots and gave me antibiotics.  God i never knew ferret puke would smell like our puke.  Vets want me to give him an update tomorrow.  

And an answer to your first question they are not getting along.  I pretty much have them seperated the whole time.  There is only fuss when I try to introduce them.

Jump to:

Current active users
There are 0 members and 1 guests.
Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread